We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

birmingham
Level Contributor
46 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Hi everyone,

I have posted this same message in the Singapore forum and was hoping for some help regarding our 10 night stay in Singapore and Malaysia this September.

My partner is in Singapore for work so we will be starting there, and hoping to fly back from Kuala Lumpur 10 nights later (flying to London, UK).

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research but am at a loss with timings.

Our initial plan was to divide the time up between Singapore, Langkawi and then Kuala Lumpur. I should say that we are in our late twenties, enjoy hiking, culture, food and want some chill time on a beach at some point. I wouldn’t say we are city lovers and we don’t want to shop or anything like that.

For that reason I’m worried that we are making a mistake that we are missing out Cameron highlands (hiking) and Penang (culture and food). Unfortunately annual leave restrictions mean we can only spend a maximum of 10 nights and it would exhausting to fit in Singapore>Langkawi>Penang>cameron highlands>KL. alternatively we could forget east Malaysia altogether and go to Borneo instead. I’m also mindful that September isn’t a great time to visit Langkawi.

Thank you in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Hi there,

All great and worthy destinations but time in transit and flights and transport to the airport makes things diifcult for the timespan you have. Singapore and KL , whilst cities are still quite different in some ways. To start in Singapore with your partner being required there for work is locked in. To fly out of KL is a good idea too. Now for the gaps. I honestly think to do it well , you should only consider 3 places in total. This leaves in my opinion , Penang and Langkawi, both awesome places. Very different but both have the advantage of being quite accessible via plane. This way you would have approx 3 nights in each place , not including travel time. To stretch it further would decrease quality to increase quantity, good luck with the decision and have a great trip.

Cheers

Sean

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,588 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Actually, in some ways, there are some similarities between Singapore and Penang. Both are islands with a rich colonial culture. To maximize your range of experiences, perhaps Penang can be done on another trip.

So Singapore is a must due to work. Not sure whether you have 10 days including work (that takes away a few days, not sure how many) or its 10 days after work, means you might have explored Singapore a bit already).

In some ways KL and Singapore are also similar, so you might not need to spend too much time in KL.

In any case, to vary your experience, perhaps consider

1. Singapore + Bangkok

2. Singapore + KL + Malacca (overnight) + Cameron

3. Singapore + KL + Pangkor Laut (Pangkor Laut Resort)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
466 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Dear DeathBBC,

Ten days can fly by very quickly. I would suggest that you focus on Singapore and KL only with side trips to Cameron Highlands, Melaka, or Port Dickson for the beach. And side trips to the elephant sanctuary, see the fireflies in Kuala Selangor since you don't like shopping. KL is great for shopping; just as Singapore is.

If you were only treating KL as a hub, I would fly out to Kuching for a bit more adventure. I'm more a hiking and camping girl myself. So Kuching is a special treat. Rent a car and stay at the Permai Rain Forest resort, visit Mulu caves, take a high-speed boat through the mangroves and river system to see the crocs, dolphins, proboscis monkeys and fireflies. Then to the Semenggoh wildlife centre for the orangutans uncaged, roaming free in the wild. In Kuching, there's nothing to shop. Maybe just borneo layer cake, cinnamon and peppercorn spices.

NY
Level Contributor
327 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Based on the info you provided, my take on your 10 nights. 4N in Singapore that you can do what you want. Fly to Penangfor 3N. Enjoy the old town, food including asam laksa and the beach. If beach is a priority, stay in Langkawi instead. There may be a ferry between the two if you want to split things. Next fly or take bus/train to KL. Day trip to Cameron Highlands, climb Batu Caves and eat durian. Stay 3N. You can adjust the nights depending on your interest. This part of the country is West Malaysia, west coast. There is east coast and East Malaysia.

birmingham
Level Contributor
46 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. We have now booked the flights. We arrive to Singapore 21st September and leave Kuala Lumpur 1st October. We have decided to stay in Singapore for 3 nights then travel the west Malaysia for the remaining 6 nights.

Considering that it’s september - do you think we should go to the Perhentian Islands for 5 nights, spending our last night in KL. Or we could visit Langkawi for 3 nights, Penang for 2 and the last night in KL? I should note that we will fly between these places.

Thanks in advance

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

It's tempting to see as much as possible on any long haul trip but I would seriously focus your plans, whatever they end up being.

On my first trip I did a three centre over 12 nights and it was enjoyable but not relaxing.

You know what type of travelling you like..................

birmingham
Level Contributor
46 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

You are right - we would spend so much time travelling it won’t be enjoyable. I’ve had a bit of a brainwave - does 3 nights Singapore, 4 nights Tioman islands and 2 nights KL sound like a better plan? It eliminates the number of internal flights and is a lot less rushed. It also incorporates both hiking and beaches. We can get the culture in KL, we are planning time for Batu Caves and the fireflies. Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

That sounds like a good well planned itinerary to me , time to take in the vibe of each of the destinations.

Cheers

Sean

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!

Your 3 centre trip looks good to go ...

Reply to: 10 night last in Singapore/Malaysia - itinerary help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted