We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBC weather forecast for KL

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
BBC weather forecast for KL

I've been checking the weather on the bbc app for KL for about a month now and it has been showing thunder lightning every day up until june 26th which is the day we fly. How accurate is this?

6 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
362 reviews
352 helpful votes
1. Re: BBC weather forecast for KL

The best thing you can do is to not check the weather forecast.

In the tropics it usually says thunder and lightning, because at some point in the day there will be rumbles of thunder and lightning, usually in the early evening. This doesn't mean it will rain but if it does, it's likely to be a short, sharp shower.

You will still get more sun than you actually need so pack the factor 50 and stop worrying about the weather.

Mui Ne, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
52 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: BBC weather forecast for KL

As Steady says, ignore forecasts.

Yes it'll rain most days (with some spectacular flashes and bangs), but in the main it'll just be hot, humid and dry.

When I worked in KL our office had great views of the Petronas and KL towers. You could almost set your clock by the '3pm storm' and I always tried to take a coffee break then so I could watch the lightning striking one or other of the 3 towers.

Edited: 14 June 2024, 04:58
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
252 reviews
92 helpful votes
3. Re: BBC weather forecast for KL

hot and sunny for last 2 days no rain in KL

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
22,171 posts
199 reviews
146 helpful votes
4. Re: BBC weather forecast for KL

Just curious, why are you checking the weather forecast everyday ?

Is it just the British obsession with the weather ?, or are you thinking of changing your destination ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
5. Re: BBC weather forecast for KL

I'm in the same boat, due to arrive in KL on Tuesday 18th and stay for a week. From what I understand it's best to just avoid the forecasting. It's never accurate. I just hope the thunderstorms stop or slow down.

Mui Ne, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
52 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: BBC weather forecast for KL

It's not so much that the forecasting isn't accurate, the problem is people see the day summary showing thunder / lightning / rain and assume that is what the weather will be like for the whole day, which is very rarely ever the case. However thunderstorms, often in the afternoon, are a feature of weather in the tropics.

Edited: 16 June 2024, 01:29
Reply to: BBC weather forecast for KL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.