We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to do

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
227 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and what to do

We are going to Austin for three nights starting December 7th. We will be flying in and will not have a car. I am looking for a central hotel where we can walk everywhere and we can take an uber to the LBJ museum. The hotels all seem a bit pricey. Any ideas for hotels in the $200/night range. I have looked at the Omni and the the Hyatt Place Downtown. Which one would be preferable? My husband needs to have a fitness room when we travel. Thanks for any help. Any interesting suggestions during December would be appreciated also.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
4 replies to this topic
austin,tx
Level Contributor
654 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what to do

Also try the Embassy Suites downtown off of Barton Springs and South Congress and the Hampton Inn on San Jacinto. That time of year many companies are having Christmas parties and people elect to stay at a hotel rather than drive.

Hotels from 19th (MLK) which is north of the capital to south is close to downtown by Uber and not always by walking is a good location.

Rooms won't always be cheap.

Google Austin 360 or the Austin Chronicle for happenings.

Mentioned in this post
South Congress Hotel
South Congress Hotel
348 Reviews
Austin, TX
Austin
Austin
Texas
Marshall, Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what to do

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency down near south congress and it was an amazing hotel by the river. I know that wasnt on your list, but it is what I recommend. I was torn between the Hyatt Place and the Regency, and I went with the Regency and was not disappointed.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and what to do

I am not sure about fitness rooms, but if you are trying to keep it under $200 your options may be limited. The Residence Inn by Marriot (which may fit your budget) on 4th Street would put you very close to many restaurants, bars, in the entertainment district on 6th and the Warehouse district. Out of the two you listed, I would choose the Omni, good central location close to Congress, the Capitol, and puts you close to the 6th Street district. The area around the Omni is safe, but I personally would not want to travel too far east on 7th or 8th by the homeless shelter from the hotel.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and what to do

Omni has a very nice gym and a heated roof top pool. It a nice hotel but on the two occasions I stayed very family friendly, a ton of children running round.

Reply to: Where to stay and what to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted