We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and drink choices for 2 days.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Food and drink choices for 2 days.

My husband and I are in our early 50's and have limited time in Austin, but would like to narrow down some food, drink and music choices to make the most of our trip. We are still deciding on hotel accommodations, but we will have a car and would like to explore SoCo, Rainey street, and any other fun areas. We love all types of food, but while in Austin we would like to try a good Tex-Mex, BBQ, Foodtruck and breakfast tacos. We are from Oklahoma and have a Chuys and Torcys, So, we probably wouldn't want to go there. Would like to have a nice dinner on Friday night (seafood,steak,sushi - something like that). I think the weather will be nice, so we would like a few suggestions that have outdoor/patio dining, outdoor/rooftop/balcony bars and live music! We tend to like jazz, swing music/dancing and fun rock/pop bands.

We will arrive Thursday around 3pm.

Suggestions for-

Happy Hour

Dinner

After dinner drinks and music

Friday-

Coffee

Breakfast tacos

Visit to whole foods, explore some areas with boutiques, shops, maybe a museum?

Would like to have lunch at Perlas on the patio?

explore a little more

Happy hour

Dinner

After dinner drinks and music

I think this trip is gonna make us drunk and fat! - Don't judge! LOL!

Thanks you for any suggestions!

4 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Food and drink choices for 2 days.

There is one fantastic website that has all your answers. Eater Austin. It even categorizes things like Happy Hours, patios, downtown places, BBQ, Food Trucks.

Past posts with recommendations, YouTube video and links are abundant on the Austin Forum.

Look at searches on Google for 2nd Street District, Rainey St. District, Austin Chronicle, Whole Foods, Seaholm restaurants, Waterloo Records (live music casual in daytimes), Voodoo Donuts, Donn's Depot and Esthers Follies. Have drink on 2nd floor bar of historic Driskill Hotel on Congress. Eat at Cooper's BBQ next to JW Marriott on Congress.

https://houston.eater.com

https://www.thrillist.com/austin

Look at Do512 and Austin 360

http://www.austin360.com

Look at all the above mentioned on YouTube as well as lots of drone videos of downtown

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Food and drink choices for 2 days.

I left out the new food hall that will open any day now on Congress at 1st (Caesar Chavez St.). Should be fun.

https://faregroundaustin.com

Marshall, Texas
Level Contributor
97 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: Food and drink choices for 2 days.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency on south congress and I walked south congress and up into down town. I am not a small guy, but I found walking it easy with some nice food places within walking distance. I know for me, my favorite breakfast was from the Torchys food truck, man I love that place. To be able to sit outside and enjoy the weather was awesome.

I went down to Austin for my birthday in july and I think i put on about 20 pounds... so I know how it goes.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Food and drink choices for 2 days.

Here are a few of my recommendations.

Happy Hour: Z-Tejas downtown (outdoor seating, margaritas are strong and good), Eddie V's (jazzy place w\ great appetizers and drinks)

Dinner- Launderette (East downtown), Pitchfork Pretty, Salty Sow

After dinner drinks and music: All over the Warehouse District and West 6th Street. I would avoid East 6th.

Coffee: Jo's Coffee Shop on South Congress

Breakfast tacos: I like Taco Deli (green hot sauce is awesome, a little goes a long ways)

Explore some areas with boutiques and shops: South Congress

Would like to have lunch at Perlas on the patio? Good choice

Reply to: Food and drink choices for 2 days.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted