We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toy stores

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Toy stores

I will be in Austin and am staying near the convention center. Are there any nice toy stores nearby (within walking distance)?

6 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toy stores

Oh goodness yes! Toy Joy is an Austin institution and moved several years ago from a location near the university to 2nd Street. They're a great fun place!

https://toyjoy.com/

Second street is a nice pocket of shops and restaurants, Austin city hall, and very walkable from the convention center.

Welcome to Austin!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toy stores

Awesome, thank you!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toy stores

As YankeeTransplant stated Toy Joy is a must.

I was extremely impressed with the toy and childrens book selection in the huge gift shop of the Bob Bullock History Museum. When I was there they had a little childs astronaut suit that was adorable.

Also, Monkey See Monkey Do is in the South Congress (SoCo) shopping/dining district just over the lake. Very long walk, but hop on Capital Metro City bus and be there in about 8 minutes for a couple of bucks. While you are there pop into Lucy in Disquise costume shop nearby and see if anything in there interests you.

https:/…monkey-see-monkey-do-austin

If your children are into music then don't miss Wild About Music downtown at 615 Congress:

http://www.wildaboutmusic.com

Edited: 11 November 2017, 13:31
Mentioned in this post
Wild About Music
Wild About Music
49 Reviews
Austin, TX
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toy stores

Another vote for Monkey See Monkey Do on South Congress. As GG mentioned, there are a lot of unique shops on SOCO. Don't miss this area.

You are staying at the convention center, you are right across the street from the Double Decker Austin (doubledeckeraustin.com) tours. They do hop on and hop off tours. South Congress is one of the stops. You can get off at SOCO, go shopping, eat lunch, and get back on the bus when it comes back around. You will learn a lot about Austin on the tour. In addition, you would get to stop at the Texas State Capitol, LBJ Library, and the Bullock Museum.

We frequently do this tour when we have out of town guest come in and make a day of it. In fact, we are doing it again this Thanksgiving.

DAD

Edited: 11 November 2017, 23:29
Mentioned in this post
Double Decker Austin
Double Decker Austin
1 Review
Austin, TX
Texas State Capitol
Texas State Capitol
6,329 Reviews
Austin, TX
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toy stores

Awesome, thank you guys!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toy stores

On my way home from work yesterday, I passed by the Austin Toy Museum at 1108 E Cesar Chavez St. I had seen it before, but forgot about it when I replied the other day. Really close to downtown. They had people dressed up as toys outside the building.

DAD

Mentioned in this post
Austin Toy Museum
Austin Toy Museum
20 Reviews
Austin, TX
Reply to: Toy stores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted