We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

Burnaby, British...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

We are arriving Washigton DC around 8:00 pm on July 4, 2018. Will we have any problem taking a taxi from the airport to Alexandria ?? How long is the ride approx.??

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
8 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

There should be plenty of cabs at Washington National Airport to take you to Alexandria, even on July 4th.. Just get in the taxi line and the dispatcher will get a cab for you.

The length of the ride will depend on exactly where in Alexandria you are going. I would expect traffic to be a problem because the fireworks generally begin at 9:15 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

I've gotten stuck in the fireworks traffic. Actually 'stuck' sounds negative and it was a beautiful experience. Total parking lot,no one moving, seemed like it was understood. Wonderful view of the fireworks. And as soon as the fireworks were over, everyone very efficiently continued on their way.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
597 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

Travel fare will depend on your final destination, as an FYI cab fare just last week from DCA to Alexandria City Hall was $15.00 and took ten minutes (is less than 5 miles).

Note Alexandria can include areas of Fairfax County, so your distance matters. Most traffic on the 4th will be tied up headed into Washington DC prior to fireworks and not away towards Alexandria. As explorer states, there is something magical coming by air to DC when fireworks are going on! There's no finer view than from the deck of Reagan Airport! I warn, however, I'd rather poke my eyes out than be stuck in 4th Metro traffic following the fireworks display and traffic will be impacted headed back through Alexandria, as well.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

@ Karen B post 3

>> I'd rather poke my eyes out than be stuck in 4th Metro traffic << My living nightmare was being stuck on 95, (4th of July a few years back).

Kesh_grammy

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
597 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

Oh Kesh, Kesh, Kesh! That goes without saying...just sayin! Being stuck on I-95 traffic is now an everyday occurrence! :)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

@ Karen post 5

A few years ago I flew back from Ireland > BOS > DCA.. I was horrified by the amount of traffic and the rate of speed at 10PM on a weekday all the way down to outside Fredericksburg.

Kesh

Mentioned in this post
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

🇧🇷🇧🇿🇦🇮☑️⤴️⤵️®️🔙 Cd nbx🔉🔷💔❇️❔⏮🔢#️⃣⏯⏸⏸⏸⏏️✂️🔗. J

L M
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport

You will not have any problem getting a taxi. It is a short trip.

When I go I actually take the Metro from the airport to Alexandria. It is only two stops to the Hilton on King Street. It just depends where you are staying and how much luggage you are bringing as to whether that is an option for you.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Reply to: Getting to Alexandria from Washington National Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted