We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours leaving from Alexandria/ Great florist

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tours leaving from Alexandria/ Great florist

My husband and I will be in Alexandria next week. My Daddy was buried in Arlington National Cemetary and this is my first Father’s Day without my best buddy. :-( This will be the first time that I will view his tombstone. I am looking for recommendations for a great florist, as I am only allowed to put fresh flowers on his grave this time of year at ANC. Also, my husband can not walk long distances, so I am looking for tours that don’t involve a lot of walking and will preferably leave from the least congested place possible. He is from “the country” so big city driving really stresses him out and my driving stresses him even worse! Lol! Any suggestions for affordable but good restaurants and attractions would also be appreciated. We will be celebrating our anniversary and my Daddy’s life. He was a great man who served both our God and our country. Rev, John E. Mullinax, CPO, US Navy. Section 55, ANC. ❤️🙏🏻🇺🇸

2 replies to this topic
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
605 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours leaving from Alexandria/ Great florist

Anita:

I'm sorry for your loss. Two points, Conklyn's Florist (google them for Alexandria) are my go-to florist for my own father's (and many others) who rest in Arlington. My dad is in Section 59. As a family member, one of the best things is they treat family different at ANC. You can easily (city or country averse drivers) gain access to ANC via Rt. 1 North in Crystal City. The route takes you directly to ANC exit which is easy on and easy off. If when approaching the gate keepers (assuming you have not yet received your family cemetery pass), inform them and they permit you to temporarily park in the circle adjacent the entrance to run inside to obtain a temporary family pass. You can then drive to your gravesite directly (or anywhere else in ANC for that matter).

Regarding tours, are you speaking of ANC tours, or DC Tours? We need more info to assist.

arlingtontours.com

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours leaving from Alexandria/ Great florist

Excellent advice from Karen about how to go to ANC to visit a loved one's gravesite, and I agree with her recommendation of Conklyn's Florists.

If you are interested in a tour of Arlington National Cemetery, there is a Hop On/Hop Off bus tour with a guide providing live narration. I have done this tour several times with my houseguests and it has always worked out well. Karen provided you a link to information about this tour.

If you are looking for a guided tour of the city of Washington, D.C., I don't think you will find any which depart from Alexandria. Most of them depart from Union Station in Washington, D.C. You could always take a taxi from your hotel to Union Station. Many of the tours in D.C. are of the Hop On/Hop Off variety. Unlike the HO/HO bus tour in Arlington National Cemetery, I do not recommend getting off at any of the stops on a D.C. HO/HO tour UNTIL you have made all of the loops. The reason for this is that if you get off at a stop in D.C., you may encounter a very long wait for another bus with available seating. If you just stay on the bus, you won't have this problem. And, FWIW, the Old Town Trolley HO/HO bus tour in D.C. includes the HO/HO bus tour in Arlington National Cemetery -- the only HO/HO bus tour that does this. (They are owned by the same company.)

Reply to: Tours leaving from Alexandria/ Great florist
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted