We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

Hi All,

My brother and I are traveling from Seattle, and planning to hike / climb Mt. Fuji on either 6/18 or 6/19. We submitted out hiking plan with the proper authorities, and will have all the necessary gear! We are planning on summiting (if weather permits) and heading back down to station 5, all in the same day.

Ask: any advise? Do-able in 1-day? Also, if anyone would like to hike with us, it would be fun, and possibly safer to have some partners! Feel free to reply here with any tips / advise, or if you'd like to join! We have not decided yet if 6/18 or 6/19 work better for us. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,258 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
10 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

The Official Climbing Season Mt. Fuji is from July 1 to September 10. While there is usually no snow on Mt. Fuji from late June until October, temperatures at the summit can drop to far below zero in the shoulder seasons. Only experienced hikers should consider the ascent in late June or September. If there is snow on the mountain, appropriate mountaineering equipment and experience is required. All mountain facilities including toilets are closed. You should carry your toilet when you climb. Thus, I don't recommend to climb Mt. Fuji out of the Official Climbing Season.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,258 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Fuji
Fuji
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

I guess keep an eye out for the weather forecast. Whether you can do it in a day or not depending on how physically fit you are. The bus arrives at something like 9:30 and leaves around 2pm I think? so that leaves you about 5 hours to complete a 7.2km (4.5 miles) up and then 8.2km (a bit more than 5) down with deep climb and descend. If you have a lot of experience going up and down in the Cascade or Rockies I think you'll manage and know if you can summit.

If you've never climbed anything above 12000ft, I'd suggest you set a turn around time and do not exceed that time.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

If you guys can push it to June 20th then we can hike together. I'm planning to hike on June 20th and can't move date because of business schedule.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

I will be in tokyo from June 18 to 23. I can join you if you will do it on the 19th

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

When you look at the forecasts look carefully and make sure you are 100% looking at the summit forecasts of Mt. Fuji. If you use Google some results ('Mount Fuji forecast') are actually for Fuji-city, some are for the base of mt. Fuji, some are for 3000m point on Mt. Fuji but the correct one is for 3776m. Check. You must be sure to select the climbing route (there are 4) most suited to be sheltered from the prevailing/forecast winds and weather. (You don't want to be climbing in zero visibility, -2C with 35km/h winds smashing you for 8hrs!)

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,258 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
Fuji
Fuji
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,317 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

>>(You don't want to be climbing in zero visibility, -2C with 35km/h winds smashing you for 8hrs!)<<

Exactly. And no food, no water, no shelter and toilet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

This Friday 15th: Mt. Fuji forecast is for heavy snow falls, poor visibility and -3C. (Heavy rain lower down)

This Saturday 16th: -9C in 30km/h winds.

Personally I think it's better to wait a few weeks until the climbing season starts and everything is open. Bring a portable toilet and don't sh1t on this sacred mountain! Leave a climbing plan in the box at the 5th station as required - the form can be downloaded.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Fuji
Mount Fuji
1,258 Reviews
Chubu, Japan
D K
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

I am intending to climb on 19 June and submitting climb plan to the authority when i arrive there. Considering Fujinomiya route,

Mentioned in this post
Fujinomiya
Fujinomiya
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

"Considering the Fujinomiya route"

In the closed season you should carefully select the route best suited to the prevailing/forecast wind and weather expected on the day. Fujinomiya route may sure be the 'shortest' route but quite frequently it can be a diabolical choice during the closed season as it frequently gets directly smashed by the wind/cold/ice/cloud all at once.

All depends on the weather 'direction'.

Of course if you're experienced you will be able to work it out the best route in the day from the synoptics and forecast.

Mentioned in this post
Fujinomiya
Fujinomiya
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19

Intending and actually succeeding in doing are two different things. In order to actually succeed in doing things, not by some narrow lucky chance without noticing what saved your life, but based on reasonable and solid planning, please do consider seriously. Mt Fuji high-altitude climbing in winter conditions is not something done by everyone, and many people are rescued, some return as cold bodies when found later.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 15:34
Mentioned in this post
Fuji
Fuji
Reply to: Climbing Mt. Fuji 6/18 or 6/19
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted