We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking stick

Which Fuji hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Owings Mills...
6 posts
Save Topic
walking stick

did anyone who climbed Mt. Fuji feel she/he needed the walking stick? or, could you have climbed without it?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walking stick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5cReCc6lDU

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking stick

Heck, I foregoed the stick and used two trekking poles, and I wouldn't have made it up and down without it. Because the two trekking poles provided support when I got altitude sickness, and helped me descend quickly through the loose gravel and dirt of the Subashiri Slide trail back down.

Do I regret I never got the wooden hiking stick with the stamps? Yeah, a little. But I may have not made it to the top with it. The main purpose of the stick is as a souvenir; it's not as effective as a pair of trekking poles. But if you have no problem with altitude sickness and have done many 10,000 ft+ hikes before, than you might as well get the stick.

Hadano, Japan
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking stick

It is not bought stick two, I bought a kongou-zue in the 5th station.

Of course, it was also a souvenir, but when climbing, kongou-zue was the support I walk.

When I climb the rock, with momentum.

When I go down the mountain, it was instead of the brake.

However, during the descent, and I use to borrow a stick instead of a kongou-zue, I noticed that more comfortable than the kongou-zue.

4. Re: walking stick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 14:18