We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
597 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Hi,

Just want a little expert advice to clarify how safe BH is.

I've just read 2 different guidebooks. One says BH is one of the safest cities in Brazil. The other says it is dangerous. What's the reality ?

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Bh is a big town, very safe during the day and at night you surely have to be much more careful, avoid going to distant places specially to the District of Contagem ( industrial district), very dangerous even during the day.

Even so, is a pleasant city with a lower cost of living and from where you can visit the famous historical cities of Ouro Preto, Mariana and Sabará.

Salvador
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

You do need to be careful downtown, especially at night, but B.H. is quite safe overall.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
43 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

You must get informed about the no go areas. But Belo Horizonte is safer than Rio, São Paulo or Recife, for sure. The kind of crimes that happens here are lighter in some respects. If you have a trip plan, try to inform us about what you want to visit and we can advise you about the dangerous places.

Orlando, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Hello Cesarmr..I am very interested in visiting BH this summer. What neighborhood can you recommecd for renting a short term apartment? I am looking for a safe place that is close to food shopping, restaraunts and bars as I would also like to experiance the night life. Thanks !

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
43 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

SkyFlyz,

by "this summer" you mean your summer or Brazilian summer? (the summer in Belo Horizonte is at the and of the year).

I don't think you're going to find variety of short term apartment to rent... Belo Horizonte is not a touristic city. But, try looking for Savassi area (it's the best place to enjoy night life, and from there you can get to different areas of the city). Try not to walk around like a tourist at night anywhere, even in downtown. Avoid the areas close to "favelas" (although we don't have as many as Rio, we do have some. And you can identify the "favelas" -slums- by using googlemaps. If you look a place and cannot observe streets and the division of houses and buildings, it is probably a "favela": look for example Avenida Antônio Carlos, 1195. You'll find a big avenue, a residential and behind it a big and violent favela).

Try to visit Ouro Preto, Human World Heritage, 90km from Belo Horizonte. 2hous by bus from the bus station.

Of course, the area close to the bus station is not a place to stay more than five minutes.

In Brazil, in general:

- try no to exhibit jewelry, expensive watches or money in public.

- do not rely on young people dressing Bermuda shorts and caps (it sounds a bit prejudiced, and it's not the case of everybody indeed, but it's nice to avoid problems).

- if you are going to get some information, do it in an area with movement of people.

- police number 190

I think theses tips are valid to all Latin America.

If you know more details about your plans and want to make a more specific question, tell me (Belo Horizonte is a big city of more than 2,5 million people. then, it's difficult to cover all the city in this commentary).

best wishes.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

I'll also be in BH for a short week in mid-June. I enjoy strollng around including at night, checking out restaurants... It sounds like I should be careful and stick to places with crowds - right? Is the Savassi area realatively save, or should I opt for an hotel elsewhere (where)? Thanks.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
43 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

Tom11,

If you like dinning out at night Savassi is a good choice. Try not to opt for dark and empty streets, and observe people around you. During the day the city is quite safe. If someone (even though a teenager) show you a gun, he is bound to use it. So, give him what he wants. The police investigation here in Brazil is the opposite of CSI series. They almost never catch the killer. Then, the criminals are not afraid of the penalties. (I'm not saying that it's common to be robbed here. I live in Belo Horizonte since I was born. And I've been robbed only once (I'm 31 years old), and in that occasion I was a teenager strolling alone at a no-go area.

Good luck! And don't miss Ouro Preto or Tiradentes.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

Thanks for the advice - I'll probably stay then at the Ibis in Savassi. And I definitely do plan on a trip to Ouro Preto for a couple nights. I look forward to seeing your city for the first time (for a meeting but also to play tourist abit...).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

Hi,

Did you end up going to BH? If so, where did you stay?

I heard downtown you need to be careful, by downtown, do the locals mean Centro?

We are planning to stay near the ESCRITORIO region, few blocks below Centro, do you know if its safe?

Thanks

Moi

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

I am planning to go to Minas Gerais next September. Is it safe to drive? Can I stay in Ouro Preto?

Manuel