We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

We are trying to choose between a car and a boat to get from Siem Reap to Battambang. There are 5 of us, including 3 children (youngest is 5)

I have read that it is possible to get a private boat. Is this a good idea and how would I organise it? Would this be a good subsitute for a boat trip on Tonle sap while we are in Siem Reap (freeing up more time for temples)?

Thanks!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

I think your 5 yr old might become a tired, hot, cranky little person if you go by boat.

When are you going? This will have some bearing on the length of your trip and the ease of getting from the boat pier into BB at the end.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

We will be travelling in early october so I was assuming the water level will be right up

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

Private boat hire? Doable but very expensive. Take the bus, or go by air-conditioned car. The car will take you from 3~4 hours while a boat can take up to 8 hours.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

yes as Maneki says,doable by private boat but expensive the fuel alone would be over $100 just one way,they have to return.so i am guessing at least $200 in diesel

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

Hi Aussie Family,

We are also a family of 5 travelling to Cambodia in October- we might bump into you! Would love to hear of any tips you have gathered so far?

Battambang, Cambodia
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

a taxi to battambang from siem reap costs around $35 for the whole car, and takes only 2-3 hours, it can also drop you off at your hotel.

hands down a taxi with young kids is a better option than a boat trip that takes ages, the boat drops you off on the edge of town.

if you want to experience a boat go for a trip around the lake and visit the floating villages.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

We did this trip last year by car. As another said, the trip is around 3.5 hours, give or take. I'm thinking we paid around $40 for a fairly new Toyota sedan with good air-con. The driver also made a couple pit stops along the way to break up the trip a bit. I also think a boat trip would be too long. Good luck.

Richard

battambang
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

Boat trip is the most popular trip to battambang, and best experiencing a long the river. but for family with small children will be not good as the trip will take a round 7h-8h. Would recommend to do the road trip with Van and it would suitable with your family of 5 than taxi.

australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

Jumping into this thread, i would like to know the best way to organise a private minibus to be waiting for us at the airport at siem reap to take us direct from there to battambang. We will be arriving from sihanoukville as a group of 7 and would prefer to make the trip together. We do not want to go by public transport. could we get this transport organised via an agent in sihanoukville?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private boat or car - Siem Reap to Battambang????

Yes, you can easily do that from Sihanoukville.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 17:09