We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange, slight worrying sight!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Topic
Strange, slight worrying sight!

When me and the missus were in Battambang for 5 nights last month we witnessed this slightly worrying sight.

We were wandering around the centre of town and close to the main market area.

Into sight came this local looking bloke with shoulder length straight hair.

He was wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops, but nothing else.

I watched him for a minute or so. He was in a world of his own, and judging by some of his actions he had definite mental problems.

It was very busy around the market at the time, but the poor bloke was almost completely ignored by all the locals.

We then moved on.

Later that afternoon we were enjoying the 'Happy Hour' in Flirt Bar and talking to the English bloke who runs the place. I mentioned what we 'd seen earlier in the day, and he said that the bloke has been around for a long time, and there also used to be a woman regularly 'on parade'!

I'm surprised people like this aren't on the radar of an NGO or two, and are definitely a bit of an embarrassment for tourism.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,012 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Hi,

If you are heading to Luang Prabang keep a look out for the 'mad monk' on the main street.

It happens, there is very little social care in Asia if you don't have family or are rejected by them. When things get too bad the police usually take some action, but mostly the attitude is live and let live.

Cheers

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Aye, I know about the social care, but what about the NGO bods? Only time I saw any of them was getting in and out of their 4 x 4s or mingling together socially.

Had a week in LP 5 years ago, nice place, should be on the itinerary for everyone visiting Laos.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

NGOs can't just kidnap "nutters" or "alternative lifestyle" persons.

We all have the right to be "different" and do our own thing.

I'm far more concerned about the abandoned young mothers and their children sleeping out on the streets during the monsoon season.

Mental illness is quite prevalent in Cambodia but a moment's reflection as to the past history and suffering of many of these people provides a foundation for understanding this situation.

With an officially declared National Health Budget of only $4. per person just how much assistance to anyone do you expect to get? Even in wealthy countries such as Australia with, by international standards, well developed free universal public healthcare and social security benefits we still have "nutters" on the streets and people who are homeless and "sleeping out".

I trust you gave him a few dollars to help him get through the day whilst you enjoyed a cold beer or two?

Best regards. Ian

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

I'll bow to your greater experience. But in all my travels it's something I've never ever seen before, especially in the centre of a town which is presumably trying to establish itself on the Cambodian tourist trail.

Give him a few dollars to get through the day? Are you really suggesting I should have approached a stranger acting in a completely odd and unpredictable manner, who in any case had no pockets to put any money?!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,012 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Hi,

I'm very surprised you haven't encountered this before, it's fairly common in the UK. Last week as I was walking along Qurum beach in Muscat and an Indian chap walking at the back of the beach started screaming at no one in particular for a good ten minutes, no one batted an eye lid. The week before in Tallinn while walking around the old town there was a guy who clearly had Tourette's letting loose, again, people just moved on. As for NGOs getting involved in mental health issues, I think the funds would not be very forthcoming when the issue is swept under the carpet as much as it is in the ricjher countries.

Cheers

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Blimey Paul.

I started the thread in the centre of [little known] Battambang, and now we've gone global.

I hope when you meant UK that the comparison is an East Sussex type of thing associated more with Brighton than Eastbourne!

I've lived in Saudi Arabia where everywhere is 'beach', but it'd probably be off with with his 'chopper' in Riyadh.

And I think that 'owt goes in Estonia.

Getting back on-topic.

Do you think that my opening posting would be allowed to go by practically unnoticed on Pub Street in SR or around the FCC in PP?

I really enjoyed BB, but it could do a little better, especially if it wants to attract its fair share of tourists!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,012 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Hi,

I think I meant Preston, or most larger UK towns and cities.

As I said earlier, in the tourist mecca of Laos there is a completely bonkers monk, who has been relentlessly bothering tourists for years.

Yes, I do think it would be tolerated in pub street or Sisowath quay, let's face it worse things go on that neither the NGOs of the police bother with in both places.

We went 'global' because I'm genuinely surprised you haven't seen this before, although if your experience of social order comes from Saudi then I guess I'm not.

To be honest, I don't really see the point of your post. Battambang is Cambodia's second largest town and gets by quite well with various nut cases intact, I'm not entirely sure it needs to be sanitised for tourism to flourish.

Paulo by the way.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

People with mental health issues are not "nutters". They are people with an genuine illness - it's just that you can't see it. You wouldn't call a person with cancer a nutter so let's keep the same respect for those affected by mental illness, whether in Cambodia or the UK.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Seems like the OP wants Cambodia to hide it's real people for the sake of tourism. It's like China moving all their homeless people out of town whilst the Olympics were on. No nation on the world is sterile. Who would want that anyway.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

I was doing a bit of shopping in Amsterdam last saturday, and a lady walked past me with 2 fried eggs on her head, and i thought well why not!!

Manicus.