We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange, slight worrying sight!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Topic
Strange, slight worrying sight!

When me and the missus were in Battambang for 5 nights last month we witnessed this slightly worrying sight.

We were wandering around the centre of town and close to the main market area.

Into sight came this local looking bloke with shoulder length straight hair.

He was wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops, but nothing else.

I watched him for a minute or so. He was in a world of his own, and judging by some of his actions he had definite mental problems.

It was very busy around the market at the time, but the poor bloke was almost completely ignored by all the locals.

We then moved on.

Later that afternoon we were enjoying the 'Happy Hour' in Flirt Bar and talking to the English bloke who runs the place. I mentioned what we 'd seen earlier in the day, and he said that the bloke has been around for a long time, and there also used to be a woman regularly 'on parade'!

I'm surprised people like this aren't on the radar of an NGO or two, and are definitely a bit of an embarrassment for tourism.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Rarky ... you need a trip home? that sub-continental credit card should do the trick.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Ian...In case you ever get over to NZ its good to know that it is still possible to fill up your own flagons/half- g's at most liquor stores in NZ!

Helen...LOL!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Hello Rarki, I've been to Kiwi land quite a number of times what with former work and skiing holidays etc. but not in more recent years. I have an association with some of the Antarticans at Canterbury but this is a long story and not for telling here as I was responsible for several years for preparing the Australian LARC V amphibious crews for the ANARE annual resupply trips. I've had a most amazing and interesting life and it is not over yet by a long shot.

Much prefer to come to Cambodia these days.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

Ok this thread gets my vote for the most random collection of posts I've read this week. I am dumbfounded how this thread migrated form naked Cambodians to screaming Poms to NGO work (or not working) Australian politicians, aboriginal rights, womens votes,lamb chops, Kiwi beer and the lack of a sense of humour in these forums.

To get back on topic, or at least back on A topic; I haven't seen any crazy and/or naked people wandering the streets of Battambang yet. I say "yet" as I have seen some crazy people in just about every other corner of the world I've ever visited.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

I haven't been to Battambang for several years but last time I was there I saw a bunch of teen kids congregating together sniffing cans of glue. They had seriously glazed looks on their faces. I found this quite disturbing. (Just down the street From Smoking Pot cooking school/restaurant) I wonder if no-pants guy was one of these kids. :-(

Brizzy
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

G'day

I have travelled a lot and this type of behaviour is not normal nor is it a cultural idiosyncrasy. the point I would guess, is that abnormal behaviour that should be addressed is being ignored.

I am sure it would be quickly taken care of in Perth....... or would it?

Lets hope he gets some help.

57. Re: Strange, slight worrying sight!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 13:16