We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Arrived from Phnom Penh by taxi. Took around 4 1/2 hours with a stop for lunch along the way. Can't remember the place by put it was quite a large roadside restuaraunt. Fantastic Loc Lak for under $3! Checked into,the Seng Hout. Fantastic staff. We asked for a safety deposit box thinking they would have one for us to use at reception. To our surprise, 2 ladies carried one into our room!!!! Great hotel. See separate review. Our trust tuk tuk driver Mr Kim met us at hotel and organised with us what we wanted to do. Visited the bamboo train and some villages to see fish paste etc etc etc. he stopped along the way to explain the lotus flower and other fruits, veges, plants and animals. We also saw rice paper being made the. Stopped at a small village to watch a lady make rice noodles. He was very informative and funny! His brother took us to the circus that night. He kept us laughing with his Aussie sayings. Ate at White Rose, Maddison Corner, gecko Cafe and the River (see separate review. Definitely the highlight was the cooking class with Vannuk at Smoking Pot. I have done many of these over the years and this was one of the best. Thanks Andrea for the heads up. The trip to the market was exciting. He answered all my questions about the produce and what it was used for. We each had our own dishes to prepare. He took great care to shoe us hot to chop properly and use the wok. Of course the best bit was eating it. Alas our time in BB came to an end and we caught taxi 2:45 hours to Siem Reap

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Seng Hout Hotel
Seng Hout Hotel
416 Reviews
Battambang, Cambodia
White Rose
White Rose
805 Reviews
Battambang, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Bolton
Level Contributor
516 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

thanks for the tips , we'll be there in October!

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Inbox me if you need any more up to date info

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Mr Kim is amazing, when we first met him he took us to the circus down a dark alley and he turned and said " a dingo ate my baby"! Have never forgotten it, he is very clever and very knowledgable. Smart man, glad you enjoyed Battambang. Did you sample the Cambodian cheese!

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

No but we saw it being made. Phew,,, very smelly

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Flirt Bar - dodgy! Lol!!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Hmm...I remember going to a very bustling open-air local karaoke bar complete with hostesses and live music whenin Battambang. Drank absurd amounts of beer that night...

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

There are many late night eateries/bars in Battambang. Some opening till 2am.

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

The daily HH at Cafe Flirt between 1600-1900 @ 50c a half litre glass of lager meant that late nights were definitely out of the question for me!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

I remember pounding a few back at happy hour, and then down by the river side later at local stand-bar, drinking beer & eating grilled dried squid...

Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

I too enjoyed the happy hour at flirt. I hope the new owner changes the name. Nobody who knows the sordid story of what happened there will ever go back if they think the same person owns it.