We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife around porec

Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife around porec

Any suggestions for good places to take photos of wildlife in and around porec area

8 replies to this topic
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife around porec

We've got oodles of wildlife but sightings cannot be predicted or planned. Griffon vultures on Cres. Go on a dolphin cruise...boats at Poreč marina. We saw dolphins a few evenings ago...magnificent! You can see deer, kunas, lizards and edible dormice but again, can't plan it. We've seen wild boar and deer literally walk by the garden (rural area) and have heard deer call regularly 40 consecutive days including today (I journal). You can seek out the indigenous Boškarin cattle and Istrian donkeys. Not wildlife but interesting and unique.

I saw a bear near home once but that's highly unusual. It must have come from the Učka area (a great place to see flora and fauna and not far from Poreč).

Edited: 09 June 2018, 20:10
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife around porec

Thanks, we hope to hire a car this time so might explore further a field than our last visit]

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife around porec

Great! I am a wildlife and nature nut and go out of my way to find it. :)

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife around porec

Deer/doe sighttings are pretty much guaranteed in Pogana on Cres island. Every night they walk around. I was only there for one night and saw two deer and about 4-5 does with their young. But people told me they see all that every day. I have also seen a doe at Vrsar once but that's far from guaranteed. Bears will stick to the highest hills and mountains in summer due to high temperatures, rarely venturing to lower heights (looking for food).

Here's one from Pogana, right in the middle of the (only) road: https://photos.app.goo.gl/j6rEKWm22bNA6NLN8 Sorry for the poor quality, I took this in a hurry. But they were all over

Mentioned in this post
Vrsar
Vrsar
Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife around porec

How far is cres from porec?

Europe
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife around porec

Maybe safari park in national park Brijuni: np-brijuni.hr/en/…safari_park

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife around porec

Chilling2013, sent you a PM.

Cres is an island in the Kvarner about 2,5 hours from Poreč, depending on your route, including ferry from Brestova.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife around porec

It's a bit over an hour from Poreč to Brestova and the ferry ride is 25-30 minutes. However, in peak season (July and August) you should be in Brestova at least ~45 minutes before the ferry ride. Then you get into the Porozina port on Cres and Pogana is at the opposite end of a very stretched island, with the first 10-13 km being on a very narrow road. So, probably even 3 hours to actually reach Pogana (and it's a very narrow road again from Osor to Pogana, as you can see in my movies).

So, it probably wouldn't make much sense for just a day trip, especially as the animals usually only venture into the streets at night. However, you might find Cres brilliant in many other ways, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Au_uz3BrY

Reply to: Wildlife around porec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porec
Recent Conversations
;