We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Virgin

Midland
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Roatan Virgin

First timer....we have booked a rental for 10 days in West End (Gibson Bight)....just a couple of questions for you experts.

We would like to rent a couple of mopeds for a few days to explore the island/beaches.

Where is the best place to rent the mopeds from ?

Where to go on the mopeds ? (looking for some quiet beaches and great views/sights to see)

Anything else you would recommend apart from snorkeling/diving which we are already doing ?

Thanks in advance

11 replies to this topic
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Roatan Virgin

There are a fair number of opinions on the topic. This thread was from a couple weeks ago.....

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g94457…

Additionally, while all the beaches are free on the island, access is not. Many are within the property of a resort. Camp Bay is on the east end, miles of empty beach. There is another one near Palmetto, I have only accessed while Palmetto and I have no idea if that is still possible. If I remember the name I will post back.

Edited: 02 June 2018, 06:30
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Roatan Virgin

silly edit rules!!

Marbella Beach, I was walking dogs down from Palmetto, there was never anyone around, so don't go thinking there are potties or beverages. It is possible things have changed since last I was there.

Ahhh, I found this as well.. not any new info there. :0) Wow, Roatan,net has been around since the OLD days, good on them!

https:/…

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Roatan Virgin

Please reconsider, I have tens of thousands of miles on motorcycles in the US, I am very experienced and will never ride a two wheel moto on Roatan on public roads, there is no traffic law enforcement and more important, no medical trauma center if there is an accident , if you are hit by a bad driver there is NO ER to help you

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Roatan Virgin

Listen to georgee! Driving on Roatan is not for the faint of heart! West End is very walkable and the water taxis can take you to West Bay cheap! Better to put your moped $ toward a boat ride/snorkel tour. IMO the scenery is nicer from a boat. You can negotiate prices for a nice snorkel tour with the water taxis.

Land taxis are very inexpensive as well as is alcohol-you get the correlation?

As a first timer it would be helpful to learn some basic spanish and be able to quickly convert Lempiras to $US and vice versa. Have fun!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Roatan Virgin

while we are on the subject or risking life and limb on Roatan's roads, it occurred to me that I have not seen any discussion of that road between West End and West Bay. Sure lots of roads have potholes and impromptu speed bumps. topes! oops, otro tope. That stretch of road is more pothole and tope than it is pavement. It's beyond horrid. Taxi drivers, wishing not to trash their suspensions, take the road dead slow. Way faster to take the water taxi. I heard from a driver that repaving will start soon. But that's Roatan "soon". Last time I saw the Flowers Bay road, that was pretty bad too. So staying on the western part of the island, as maybe 90% of visitors do, you will be exposed to these horrid roads, or even worse, these horrid roads plus the delays of repaving. The main road in to West End from Sandy Bay and Coxen Hole is relatively smooth at least currently.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Roatan Virgin

I was there for the first time 2 weeks ago and the driving was scary to say the least. I'd stick with an experienced driver. It wasn't overly expensive.

Midland
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Roatan Virgin

Well I may reconsider the mopeds now, thanks for all your input.

ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Roatan Virgin

Ditto to what others have warned about road conditions and crazy drivers. That said I don’t recall ever seeing a mo-ped ‘proper’ on Roatan. Chinese scooters and motor-bikes are aplenty though, and there’s several places that rent them in West End - At your own risk !!

Wht else to check out?

Hire a driver to take you on a tour of the Island - a local who speaks good English. Cleve’s tours is highly recommemded by many here.

Happy hour at Sundowners is a popular thing to do, especially taco tuesdays.

Spend an evening in West Bay. Beachers and Bananarama have live music, often good acts. If memory serves correct - Thursday at Beachers and Friday at bananarama. Good pub food served at both places, Bananarama serves homemade stone fired pizza... it’s good !

Roatan is low key. Our favourite thing to do - beside diving and snorkeling - is to enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine at the Grand Roatan.

Enjoy your visit.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Roatan Virgin

My daughter and I r planning a trip to Roatan. Would like beach front accomodations--preferably a 2 bedroom home. Quiet location but close to local beaches. Suggestions appreciated.

Had a horrific experience last year in Playa del Carmen--crowded beaches, loud music from bars and beaches.

Thanks for your input

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Roatan Virgin

West Bay Beach is premier beach on the island, it can be very busy.

Half Moon Bay Beach is in the village of West End but then you're dealing with town noise and I don't know that there's anything actually beachfront there because if the road. Ahh The Beach House has accommodation.

Sandy Bay is a huge stretch of beach. The sand is not nearly as white and fluffy as West Bay or Half Moon Bay. The water is fairly shallow for some distance out so you need accommodation with a pier to get past the shallow mucky. It is all kinds of quiet. Sandy Bay doesn't have as many restaurants or adult beverage options as does West Bay or West end. Both West End and West Bay are easy to get to in daylight hours little bit more difficult after dark.

If you decide beachfront is not as important we can come up with some other options for you.

Reply to: Roatan Virgin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West End