We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

oxford
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

I went to Thailand for the first time last year, with my husband, and visited Koh Lanta. we are going back this November to revisit Koh Lanta and have also booked four nights in Koh Phi Phi but since doing so I have read some terrible reviews on the island. I was just wondering what peoples general view is of the Island. We are late 30s so like good food and a few beers but too old for all night parties :)

We have booked to stay in Phi Phi sunset bay resort thinking it was away from the crowds but we can still join in if we wanted to.

Honest opinions please as really unsure whether to cancel the Phi Phi part of the journey and find somewhere else, although the island looks beautiful and sounds great for snorkelling!

thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phi Phi Sunset Bay Resort
Phi Phi Sunset Bay Resort
118 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
6 replies to this topic
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

Are the terrible reviews you've read, of the island itself, or actual hotels ?

Phi Phi is a very nice island with great scenery. I've been 8 times since Jan 2012. Tonsai is very busy & crowded as this is where most people stay, most day trippers visit, and has nearly all the nightlife too. Some areas of the town and La Dalum bay are disturbed by loud music at night, so you need to choose your hotel carefully.

The rest of the island is very quiet and not busy at all, Long Beach is probably the next busiest area on the island, whilst the north end of the island has great beaches and is very quiet.

I wouldn't stay at the hotel you've mentioned above, as the location is not good, too isolated for me & there will be music noise as well I would imagine. I haven't read the reviews. I stay in Tonsai, but at a hotel where there is virtually no noise at all from the late night bars

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Long Beach
Long Beach
1,845 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
oxford
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

Thanks so much for your response. I've read the island is filthy. Glad to hear it's not. Do you mind me asking the name of the hotel you stay in?

Thanks again.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

The island isn't filthy at all, although there are parts of Tonsai which are not the best, due to it being so overcrowded

My last 7 trips, I've stayed at JJ Bungalow. and generally have paid around 1200bt or so (£25-28) a night. On Phi Phi, I think its a very good price for what you get I've posted a few reviews on here, and happy to answer any queries about any bad reviews that have been posted

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
oxford
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

Thank you. You have been really helpful. Feeling happier at going to Phi Phi now, seemed a shame to have missed what looks like a beautiful paradise 😀

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

Hi Ashley. Don’t worry there’s lots there for you. Me and hubby are late 30s and are arriving there for our third visit on Monday. Yes there’s lots of partying going on but it’s not as crazy as a full moon on koh phangan :)

I quite like watching the fire shows on the beach and sipping cocktails.

I also like JJ Residence. (Same people different place). Nowhere near the noise and quite peaceful.

I generally book a couple of nights in the centre then a couple at a quiet resort around the other side (Relax Beach Resort is my favourite).

After Lanta it’s nice to go somewhere with A bit more life I think. Though I do love Lanta too.

I’m currently at Koh Yao Noi which is a very quiet peaceful island. Stunning views. First time here but already love the place.

Mentioned in this post
JJ Residence
JJ Residence
333 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
oxford
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?

Hi Louise

Thank you ever so much for your reply. It's very kind of you. I was looking at JJ residence so will check that place out again. Hope you continue to have a great holiday.

Thanks again

Ash

Mentioned in this post
JJ Residence
JJ Residence
333 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Reply to: Koh Phi Phi - what is your opinion?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted