We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions and advice

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions and advice

Hi,

Returning to Thailand in June and considering a visit to Lampang.

Is this an area that we could have a couple of days wandering and relaxing? I have read all the available info and think there is plenty to do, if we want to and it seems easy to catch public transport from Chiang Mai. I have just a couple of questions-

We love markets, all markets, so would like to visit when there is a local market on. I have read up on this and there seems to be a weekend market, but is there a daily market and if so which is the best.?We are happy to plan our visit to coincide with a good weekend market!

Have read reviews on accomodation and some reviews are quite old. Has anyone stayed somewhere that they loved just recently and if so, what was good about it?

Lastly, food! Would love to hear recent recommendations for any great little cafes or eating spots. We are always wanting to try somewhere new and are open to all suggestions!

Thank you so much and hoping someone can help me.

Cheers MCG

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Lampang Province, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
10 replies to this topic
Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions and advice

I have stayed in Lampang, and I really hated the choice of hotels. Nothing of a decent standard, compared to cities like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai or even Pai. I would never go back to Lampang again. Also I found the city very boring.

If I would choose another city in the Northern parts of Thailand, and not choosing Chiang Mai, it would be Chiang Rai, Pai, Sukhothai or Chiang Khong.

But everybody has their personal opinions, and would probably say the opposite of me.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
Sukhothai
Sukhothai
Sukhothai Province, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions and advice

Hi

@ Dennis J You can't compares Lampang's hotel to to the hotels in Chiangmai , chiangrai or Pai these are popular touristy destinations.

Demands and supply come hands in hands. Lampang as we locals known to it as "passing by city" (we locals laugh at our own expense we called ourselves the mistress's child as we " lampang city" we don't get treatments as chiangmai or others popular towns). we are only over an hour and we will be in chiangrai or Chiangmai. Most tourists just come for a day trip.

Theres walking street on the weekend. But don't expect anything like Sunday market or any markets in chiangmai.

There are some lovely restaurants along the river and places to stay in my replied on your other posts ( I think). I cant help regarding hotel/guesthouses if they will be any good as I don't stay in hotel when in Lampang as this is my family hometown.

It really condown to what you want IMHO from your travel. Some like thigns to be laid out have comfort of luxury. Some people like to explores to see and do things off the beaten tracks. I guess each to their onw. Thailand have over 70s+ provinces some are well known, some are not. But may of the well knonw once was unknown or unheard.

If you ask me is it worth it? I don't know, I can't answer that. But Ernie Dingo's phrase when he was presenter of the travel TV show was " you will never know If you never ever go" :)

Note : I will do some more research for places to eat. I'm due back in next 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Mentioned in this post
Pai
Pai
Lampang
Lampang
Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions and advice

@Sweetpea

I agree with your post. I only wanted to tell the OP, what they could expect to find in Lampang.

In my opinion I would go on a daytrip from CM to Lampang. And at the max spend one night in Lampang. And still I would recommend other places in the North over Lampang.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions and advice

Hi Dennis J and Sweetpea,

Thank you for your honest opinion. We are guest house people wanting a slower pace than Chiang Mai and thought a day or 2 here would be something different. Planned to head back via Lamphun to explore temples and wats before going back to Chiang Mai. Value both opinions and always interesting to hear others point of view. Sweetpea, I know this is your hometown, so any extra info or recommendations would be great.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions and advice

@ Dennis that"s fair comments :)

Melbournecountry girl see you're not going until June. As said I will do more research for you when I'm in Lampang. I think I'm lacks of current info ( where to eat and shop etc) in my own home town. I left Lampang since I was 18 to further studied in chinagmai and end up lived and worked there for number of years. Every time I go back was always about family. I never got a chance of explore on my own. But I will do just that this trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions and advice

Hi, don't be put-off by bad reviews of Lampang, yes Lampang is nice for a few days visit.

Lampang has the best Saturday night market I have seen, also there are several daytime market's, for example there is one here 18.289036, 99.488348.

Because you have no transport I would recommend you base yourself in a nice area, this budget hotel is a good choice http://www.cityratsada.com/index.php, located here 18.292398, 99.502433

I recommend you get a horse carriage tour of the town and temples, there are several "pick-up" area's, there is one near here 18.290851, 99.503329.

Food is great but getting to these good restaurant's without transport is a hassle.

I can also suggest bicycling around the city especially the old city area and by the river 18.296183, 99.506924... Lampang is also known as "city of happiness". Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,161 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions and advice

We visited Lampang for lunch and a wander around from Chiang Mai, we stopped at the Elephant Conservation Centre on the way. I could have spent a night in Lampang quite easily, but I think one night would have been sufficient for us.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions and advice

Thank you to everyone for your advice and info. Certainly a variety of opinions!

Sweetpea, thank you for your offer to do some research on your return to Lampang. That is really appreciated. Thanks sja and Cassnu, have noted your info and will discuss it with the MOTH ( man of e house).

I must say, I do love a good market, so it sounds like Lampang has that.

Think a 1 night stay with a possibility of 2 is in order.

Grateful for your help.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions and advice

You should visit Pai - a hippie oasis in the North of Thailand. there are a lot of nice bars and restaurants, yoga classes, beautiful surroundings. I love that place a lot! If you go to Pai, visit Pai Canyon - it's one of best canyons in Thailand. You can find more here:https://www.mintyspring.com/pai-top-places-to-visit/

Mentioned in this post
Pai
Pai
Pai Canyon
Pai Canyon
1,840 Reviews
Pai, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor