We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Nigeria next year

Grand Rapids...
3 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Nigeria next year

Hello, my name is Sue I am 23 going on 24 in a month (excited to be getting older!) :). I have been talking to a guy in Nigeria for almost 2 years now, and I really would like to meet him early sometime next year. He seems like a nice spiritual guy. My parents are Liberian, so I would really love to get in touch with my roots. The guy's name is Elijah Aiyankhe, he is 37, and he has even offered to help pay for my airplane ticket. He lives in Lekki Lagos and he is an engineer. I am a college student studying web development. I would love to sponsor him via fiance visa, even if it takes a couple more years for me to be able to financially be qualified to do so. We both believe that if he and I became husband and wife all the time and effort would be worth the wait. What do you all think? Is it safe for me to travel to Lekki? Any good experiences of online relationships with Nigerian men?

32 replies to this topic
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

be careful - there are a lot of scammers out there-do not part with ANY money -even if you think it is love

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

I don't want to negative, but please don't be a fool. Love has nothing to do with anything. Listen to your soul and heart. Know your worth. Do not give anyone money. HIV is real.

England, United...
Level Contributor
13,014 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

Read the information in this link ( to your own Government's website) about scams, and especially the sort of all too common " romance/on-line friendship" scams which emanate from Nigeria, Ghana and other African countries too.

https:/…

It is a sufficiently big enough problem for the US State Department to have researched it in detail and to have issued a very serious cautionary/advisory notice about it.

Mondial

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

Welcome back Mondia

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

Don't do it. I am dealing with several cases in my job of women like you. If he wants you, let him make his own way to you with his own money. Don't spend a penny on this internet "friend" A fiance that you have never met? Don't be desperate for a man. Find someone where you're living. Good luck.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 09:52
Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

LEKKI is a safe area in Nigeria. But be careful on who the guy is because they’re too many scammers in Nigeria. If he wants to pay for your ticket let him pay for your visa

Grand Rapids...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

I believe he would if he could afford it, are you from there? do you know anyone from there? anyone travelling there? I doubt this man has a scamming background he has gone to meet my family several times and gave them gifts. If he could afford a visa or to come here he would have already came. It seems like he is trying the best he can with the resources he has been given in life. I believe he genuinely wants a wife and a better life and I want a humble husband and a good life as well...

8. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 November 2017, 04:07

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

One wonders why if you're so convinced that this man is perfect for you, that you'd come on a public forum and ask strangers who don't know him for an opinion and clearly not happy with the responses? There is a proverb that says " A fool and his money are soon departed " You're way too young to be so desperate. Wishing you the best and hope things work out for you.

Edited: 24 October 2017, 15:02
Grand Rapids...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Nigeria next year

I am desperate because all the guys I know don't want to get married. They rather have a baby mama....and I know this because I have brung this up to several guy friends....Plus I really don't make that much so what money can I even give to him? I was hoping to hear at least some good experiences from a stranger who has done something similar just to give me hope. Almost everyone I know in real life , even my so-called friends keep turning my online relationship into a joke when I sincerely and genuinely want to be married. Being a millennial I rarely even see people get married......I just want my little happy,fairy-tale ending...

Reply to: Traveling to Nigeria next year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted