We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos MMIA Airport scam

London
Level Contributor
115 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos MMIA Airport scam

dear all

just to update you on a few potential scams I experienced this week when visiting MMIA in Lagos.

On ARRIVAL

After immigration and baggage, a woman in uniform was standing by the airport exit and asking passengers to show their passport. I showed mine and she asked where was my yellow fever certificate. This went on for a minute or so. There is no need to show a yellow fever certificate or anything like that on arrival in Nigeria, so I just grabbed my passport back and exited from the airport. If this happens to you, do the same, or just dont hand over your passport, and walk on past her. These people are just trying to get some cash out of unwary foreigners.

DEPARTURES

I used my airport angel card to access the SDS lounge on the ground floor. The staff told me that 'Nat West has contacted us and said that these particular cards are no longer valid'. Again, they just wanted a bribe. The lounge was empty. I walked out telling the staff they should be ashamed of themselves. Please dont use this lounge. This sort of behaviour by people at the airport gives Nigeria a bad name.

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos MMIA Airport scam

Thanks for the information. At least I can use the departure pointers that you have referred to when I depart in 10 days time.

Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos MMIA Airport scam

I have heard of the yellow fever certificate scam.

Thanks for the update.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos MMIA Airport scam

Thanks for the info...

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos MMIA Airport scam

it is not a scam, everyone need a yellow fever cert. you simply wave your card and they won't even look at it to see if you have the shot.

on the flip side, if you don't have the card, you will be asked to cough up some "dash" by the burly inspector. and yes, he only targets foreigners, nigerians simply walk by. but not everyone can pass for nigerian...

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos MMIA Airport scam

yellow fever is a real problem in Nigeria:

vanguardngr.com/2012/…

and here is the entry requirement from the UK Foreign office website:

fco.gov.uk/en/…nigeria

"Yellow Fever vaccination is required for travellers arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission."

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
6. Re: Lagos MMIA Airport scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 13:15