We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

Having read many posts, I was very nervous before my first trip to Nigeria so I wanted to post my experience from beginning to end (Visa to exit), hoping it will assist others.

I am a US citizen living in Canada, white male, 47 years old. I prepared my visa application online, re-read it three times (as errors are costly to fix) paid the $180 US fee and submitted it to the High Consulate in Ottawa. I called twice to be ensured they would be open on 14 January and made a personal trip so that I could hand in my materials and be certain everything was done correctly. When I arrived on 14 January I found the High Consulate closed for Mohammed’s birthday, which was shocking, but after some persuasion I was allowed to leave my paperwork (though no guarantee of having submitted it correctly). I called the following day to ensure that everything was clear, and by the end of the month I had my visa.

I flew Arik Airlines to Lagos. As soon as I boarded I instantly felt stupid for having been nervous; there was only one other white person on board yet the other passengers (some Americans of African descent and others, but mostly Nigerians) were very friendly. The in-flight entertainment was broken, so the flight was ten hours of screaming children and I got little sleep. Nonetheless we arrived in Lagos. It was extremely hot; just sitting down I was sweaty but I am used to the Canadian climate so that is understandable. There was no pressure to bribe or pay off anyone. I was mistakenly put into the transit passenger queue for people leaving Lagos by flight; I was leaving by car for a trip to Benin which I had booked through Jemi-Alade tours, but when I told the agent I was removed from that line and allowed to go into the arrivals section of the airport.

While waiting, several employees asked if I needed to call anyone. I think there concern was genuine and don’t think they were trying to get anything from me. I struck up a conversation with someone else who was waiting, a Nigerian woman who lived in London. Once again I was ashamed of myself for having worried so much about going to Lagos when everyone was so friendly.

I was picked up promptly at 6:30 by the tour agency and driven around, but unfortunately falling asleep since I was so tired from the flight. I got a tour of Lagos which looked like a very interesting city; I wish I had stayed for at least a day to have better taste of it. I was then driven to Badagry and then onward to Cotonou, where a Nigerian tour guide took me around Cotonou. Again, her friendliness and openness showed me that my worries were definitely overdone, and she insisted that I come back to Nigeria to see more of the country, to which I am very open.

I am not posting this to say that everyone’s experience will be the same, but mine was much easier than I had expected.

One more thing--I was not asked for my yellow fever card at the airport, however upon exiting the country I was asked for it several times; had I not had it I would have had to pay a “tip” to exit the country (according to my tour guide). I know that she paid a tip to immigration in Benin when I entered, but only 1000 CFA, about $2.50.

My advice to anyone considering a trip to Lagos is to go. Perhaps you won’t find it as I did, but perhaps you will see the beauty in it.

I would add that I had a more negative experience in Ghana, where I was immediately asked for a bribe at the border and harassed twice at tourist sites by very, very aggressive people yelling at me to delete photos. I would have thought my experiences would have been opposite.

Go to Lagos.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

I'm heading to Lagos soon. Thanks for the post

Save Reply
2. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

That's interesting to hear. I'm considering a visit to Lagos with my Polish girlfriend. Thanks for the post.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

When are you going? I'm going in the early summer.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

Re: My First trip To Lagos,

I was a little nervous about traveling to Lagos, but after reading the posts here, feeling a lot better and look forward to traveling there this August, thanks for helpful info,

Mary C/ Maryland

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

I was in Nigeria for 6 weeks (12th March till 23rd April) and i can say that even though i was a little bit scared and skeptical, I can tell anyone that you have nothing to worry about as long as you keep most things regarding personal possessions to yourself.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

I'm pretty sure you weren't asking me, but I'll be in Nigeria early July, late june. Safe travels to you

Edited: 28 May 2014, 15:39
Milford, Delaware
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

I appreciate your post. I will be traveling to Lagos (and Abuja) in July for business and pleasure. While I have several friends there who know their way around, I appreciate reading about your experience.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

SOS ! Could you please tell me if it is possible to obtain tourist Visa to Lagos on arrival at the airport ? I am leaving next week 10th. There was a mixed up about who n how to get a visa hence the lateness . I know there is online oisservice but just wondering if there is an easier method ..HELP ! anyone fr uk who has visited Lagos .. Thank you .

9. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2016, 19:00
Edited: 08 August 2016, 19:00
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My first trip to Lagos, from Visa to Exit

Vcaldwell,

I would be very wary! This is probably a scam.

I would bet you will be asked for money soon. Then 'he' will be in an accident and need money for treatment etc.

Don't spend money on a plane ticket yet.

Read up on Nigerian Romance Scams. They are all over the internet.

Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations