We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos airport - be prepared!

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos airport - be prepared!

As a first timer to Lagos airport, getting through immigration (with a UK passport) was the easy bit. It took 10 minutes. It was the Nigerian passport holders that had to contend with long queues.

The part that did make me lose the will to live was the hour (in a terminal with no AC) it took for my luggage to appear!

Be prepared!

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Lagos airport - be prepared!

I want some advise my sister is travelling with her husband who I don't trust, to Nigeria with their four young children (all mixed race) is this country safe, I am at my wits end she is so blindsided by her husband I don't think she is thinking straight.

Is Nigeria especially Enugu safe for white people and mixed race kids what is the risk of kidnap !!!

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Lagos airport - be prepared!

Usually my client organises the pick up by one of the company's drivers. If that was not available, I'd ask the hotel to do so.

Don't expect meet & greet though. You'll be on your own until your exit from the luggage hall (have your luggage tag ready for collection). There only you can be waited.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Lagos airport - be prepared!

In short:

1. If you can, have a local arrange someone to pick you up.

2. You may be asked for money - "You got anything for me, brother?", "We're here to protect you but we have no water. What can you give us?"

Just learn to say no, smile, or ignore him. If he insists, give a firmer no.

3. Always pretend to know where you are going and look confident.

4. Be prepared to wait for luggage to appear

My story:

When I go I usually have my local contact arrange someone to pick us up. This 'someone' can enter the restricted areas (i.e. at the landing gate) and can bring you all the way through immigration and customs. What shocked me was I didn't even need to stand in front of the immigration officer. All we had to do was hand over our passports, cut queue, and wave at the immigration officer some 5-6 counters down the line when they were 'checking' our passports.

On my return trip, my colleagues were asked for money at 4 different occasions at the airport. From patrolmen, 'officers' in army uniform checking luggage before the check-in counter, to security checks e.g. before the boarding gate. I was not asked once though (maybe once after I was frisked but I didn't hear properly so I just walked away).

I think my observations are: they have way too many 'officers' at the airport, especially for that efficiency. A lot of these positions are created so travelers can be 'protected' (and then asked for money). If you look more confident, they are less likely to ask you for money.

34. Re: Lagos airport - be prepared!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2017, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Lagos