We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really safe for foreigners?

Wales
5 posts
Save Topic
Is it really safe for foreigners?

Hey all. I’ve been reading through a few of your posts and one in particular, “My trip to Lagos and Eastern Nigeria”, caught my eye. I was just after a bit of truthful advice, if you wouldn’t mind.

I am a young, white British female planning on visiting Nigeria for a fortnight or so in the next few months. I with another family member plan on flying out to Lagos where we’ll be met by my boyfriend at the Airport (Murtle Mohammed) and later plan to travel to Enugu to visit his family. I was just wondering if you thought it would be safe for us to do so?

I have had many people, often from other countries in Africa, tell me it wouldn’t be and that our lives would be in danger etc., but I often wonder is it just because they are from elsewhere that they say that, having never been there themselves.

Whereas having spoken to other Nigerian’s (mostly friends of my boyfriend) they have said the complete opposite. They say the people there are simply curious and in being foreign we would be more welcomed if anything, especially in Enugu.

I realise there are dangers, scam artists and such but is it that bad you wouldn’t advise foreigners going?

Sorry for such a drawn out message but any information on safety and places to go/avoid would be truly appreciated, thanks.

abuja
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Hi, i guess this reply may be a little late for consumption! However, i just stumbled on it and decided to be of little help.

Now, this boyfriend of yours, is he a Nigerian? Have you met (meaning, are you coming here to meet him for the 1st time)? Do you trust him? Your answers to these questions will aid you. However, alot of people say things about Nigeria from a distance and yet we find flocks of foreigners besiging our airports and embassies on a daily basis.

Nigeria is as safe as the streets of london if you are conscious. If you go to the ghetto (like u have in the UK and else where) u may escape okay or unfortunately become a victim.

The Nigerian people are one of the most hospitable people i have seen. I am a proud Nigerian adult female.

I hope you will find this piece useful?

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Hi am an ex-banker and now an xpat wife settled in lagos. We live in ekoyi. Must say that my first few days was a cultural shock but now i quite like nigeria. Have been here for the past 1.5 months and have become quite accustomed to the usuals like chaotic go-slows, bumpy roads and the local english. I truly agree that nigerian people are very hospitable. But you need to be cautious in moving around unless you are accompanied by some one settled here who you know quite well. So it is important that your boy friend is familiar with nigeria. Nigerians reject 419s who are associated with SCAMs. Moving around after dark should be done very cautiously as you may get into trouble in certain spots. I hope your boy friend will avoid those and take good care of you.

Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Thank you both for your replies. I’ll take what you have said into mind when visiting.

Sveltebi – Yes, my fiancée is Nigerian. He’s from Enugu, where we’ll be focusing our stay while we’re there. As for trusting him… We’ve been together for nearly 2 years here in the UK so yes, I trust him very much.

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Hello...I just had to write to you because I too have a boyfriend who lives in Lagos and is originally from Enugu state. We have not yet met in person but we do communicate with web cam and by telephone. So, we have seen each other and have spoken with each other, as well as, messaging with one another. We have known each other for over 6 months now. We are making plans to meet in person and because I will be travelling alone when I go, I expressed the same concerns to him that you mentioned in your letter. And, like your boyfriend, mine also had some of his friends speak to me and reassure me that things were not as bad as some people have been saying. Because our stories are so similar (with the exception of both of you having been together for 2 yrs. in the UK) I had this urgency to write to you and ask you if you could tell me what your boyfriend's first name is. I wasn't going to trouble you about this, but something just wouldn't let me let it be. Your response would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

abuja
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Hi Fair One,

Now all you have to do is get on the plane and have a good time in Nigeria. I am from Enugu state too but live and work in Abuja, northern part of Nigeria.

So have a nice vacation!

Wisconsin
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Fair One,

I am from WI in the US, Yes Lagos is fine. If you have someone from there than they will keep your safety in mind first.

I just got back from Festac Town 10/6/2006 and had a blast ! I traveled with my Honey to 7 different states in Nigeria. My only advice is: Drink Evna bottled water,pig out at Mr Biggs and go ride a horse on the beach with him ! Things are very cheap there and the food is great.If you get a chance visit the Lagos Country Club !

Nigerians treat visitors especially white like gold and you'll feel like a movie star.....People there just want you to say Hi, and the smile and giggle to each other. You will be called a name on the streets,it simply means white and yes they point at you,but in 9 days the only white person I seen was me in the mirror! But no harm came to me,police at check points were thrilled I was visiting and no bribes were asked for,sometimes me being in a journey bus made it easier to be flagged through. Keep your passport on you at all times and keep it out of site,same goes for cash.I carried a small wallet that tied around my neck but long enough to shove in my front pocket if I felt uneasy.Ohhhhhhhh very important, I took A LARGE chance, I met him online and that was our first meeting,yes he's Nigerian but sweet as sugar and now we are engaged after 8 months of long chat/calls................AGAIN I was lucky.....Do your research before you go,get travel books and READ..Its all true and when things happen you'll know what to do......But street crime wasnt there,at least I didnt encounter any at all..........Zeborah007

Wisconsin
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

This is to Star Gazer.....PLEASE go to the form titled : Can anyone validate this address?" and read my post..........

PLEASE be careful with anyone on the net ! I was truely scammed before I met someone in Nigeria who Thank GOD was real and genuine............I did visit a CyberCafe actually a few of them and the things I saw,I couldnt believe...........So be careful..

A few Tips;

1.Will this person send/fax you his passport with all the pages ?

(Probably Not)

2.Use this screening: theres free trial time: readnotify.com

(He may not even really be Nigeria)

3.Will this person send new photos?

4.Is he white ?.............If he claims he is,RUN Like hell.

5.Does he need money for anything ?...........If so run faster !!

Again traveling to Nigeria by yourself is NOT recommended,and if I stop to think about what I did, I was very foolish.........But make sure you have a back up plan ! What if he doesnt meet you at the airport ?

That was my big worry............And DO NOT take public transportation aalone !................email me if you like, Zeborah007

Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Thanks Zeborah007 for your reply.

StarGazer2006 - Well first things first, my fiancée doesn't live in Lagos, he lives in Enugu where he is from. I only mention Lagos because I'll be flying into Murtala Mohammed Airport so we'll be staying there a night or so. Secondly, I've known his friends long enough to consider them friends of my own and I've simply asked their advice. He has never gotten any of them to 'reassure' me about going. If I was you I would be very cautious having never met him in person, it sounds very peculiar. As for his first name, it's Tony. I hope that can give you some peace of mind. :)

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Thank you so much for your reply. After I posted my request to you I felt foolish for having asked you that question. After reading so much about meeting people online and those who have been scammed and some who have not, I just don't know what to believe or think. Even though I have pictures of him and we have seen each other on web cam, the thought of going there alone is frightening. I have no one who can go with me and I must put all my trust in this man that I have only met on web cam. I feel fairly certain that he is being totally honest with me but there is always that small chance that he is not. There is no way to know for certain until we meet. I am so glad that you have found a good man and I wish you all the luck with your future with him.

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it really safe for foreigners?

Stargazer - DONT GO!

There is a chance you may never come back!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Lagos