We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos for a week

Tonic101
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lagos for a week

Hi,

I'm travelling to Lagos for the week before Christmas and am wondering about money! :)

I've read that it's better to take cash and not use my cards (is that true?), so am wondering about budget.

I'll be staying with friends in Lekki and imagine I'll be eating and drinking out a fair bit. any guidlines on budget / how much cash I'll need to bring.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
R.S.V.P. Lagos
$$$$, American, International, European
Hard Rock Cafe Lagos
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Cafe
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
88 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos for a week

Hi Tonic, i changed £ before i traveled knowing that id likely need to use an ATM at some point.

i payed hotel bill using creditcard with no problem and i also used an ATM twice, again with no problems. I logged on to my accounts after a few days just to check all was still good.

Nigeria is expensive...really expensive. obviously in the little shacks/back roads etc its different but in general its high.

for example 2 cocktails in victoria island cost us the equivalent of £17!! lol. we never drank in the hotel bar again. just be aware they charge a food and beverage consumption tax. i cant recall how much but maybe ask upfront how much it is and if they charge it. i didnt come across it in Lekki or Benin so maybe its just in and around the more touristy areas of lagos?

regards budget, think about how much youd spend if you were holidaying and eating out in the UK. its roughly the same if not a little more.

Edited: 28 November 2015, 00:08
Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
london
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos for a week

Hiya! I just got back 2 days ago. I found Lagos a lovely place, but eating out was very expensive. Especially in the restaurants. A bottle of water was like N200. The local supermarket sells the same water for N90. Be warned! I sent money over to my friend's account before I left. But, some hotels do accept international cards. Just ask them beforehand if their POS machine is working. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Tonic101
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos for a week

Thank you for the info. much appreciated!

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos for a week

Hi Tonic,

I would definitely change money as opposed to using your card. I would change about £10 at the airport to pay for trolley's etc and the get your friends to take you to where you can change all your travel money. This is a great time to be travelling to Nigeria because the Pound is relatively strong. As stated above eating out and going out can be very expensive in Nigeria and it is very easy to blow money fast while out there.

Do not be fooled by the fact that things cost a few hundred Naira or so.. This is accumulative and before you blink you have spent more than u budgeted .

I always have to remind myself the 1k is NOT 1 pound.

I would say that anything from £100 per day should be fine.

Also bare in mind that most things on the Island are more expensive than on main land.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
5. Re: Lagos for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 December 2015, 21:55
6. Re: Lagos for a week

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 January 2016, 03:39
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
88 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lagos for a week

Also worth noting if you intend to exchange like I did, the higher the denomination the better the exchange rate. If you can get £100 note it'll be scrutinised but will get you a better deal

Edited: 01 December 2015, 22:11
Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lagos for a week

Hey,

This is late but the next time you are in lagos wondering what to do in lekki with guidelines. Check out www.livinginlekki.com we have tips for locals and travelers.

9. Re: Lagos for a week

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2017, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Lagos