We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative Holiday in Lagos?

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative Holiday in Lagos?

Hi,

Ever since reading Chimamanda ngozi adichie's books I can't get rid of a craving to travel to Nigeria and see it all for myself, especially Lagos; the city buzz, food, and people!

Would anyone know of alternative means of sightseeing, perhaps a good tour, or how to stay with locals? I've looked into Wwoofing there and still may consider it. I'm a 25 year old Irish woman and quite well travelled, I much prefer travel when I get the chance to see cities from local's perspective.

Thanks in advance to you all :)

1. Re: Alternative Holiday in Lagos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 March 2016, 22:53
Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative Holiday in Lagos?

Hi there,

going to Lagos as a (white) woman is an alternative holiday indeed!

For safety reasons, I would NEVER go there alone without knowing some one you TRUST very well.

I visited Lagos in 2014 during the Ebola time with a good Nigerian friend of mine. There are not many must see sights as such in Lagos, the most important is the city life itself. Just being stuck in the local traffic for hours going from A to B, observing the daily life and trying some local food, visiting peoples homes, trying to find some alternatives when there is no electricity for several hours was a very interesting and new experience for me. I really enjoyed that.

Nigerians are really friendly, funny, hospitable and welcoming and Lagos as a city has a lot to offer but it is important to keep in mind that the rhythm of life in Lagos is absolutely chaotic, crazy and many times dangerous. Without my friend keeping an eye on me all the time, I would certainly have been robbed or driven over by a car several times, his local language skills (yoruba and broken street English) saved us many times from paying a lot of tips to some unpleasant people (street boys standing with big metal sticks banging cars with them and asking for money, a gang at an empty beach ready to attack if we had entered, a guy at the Fela Kuti museum wanting us to enter and pay a huge sum of money due to me being white).

Thus, going to Nigeria cannot really be considered a relaxing holiday. The city life is quite stressful, sometimes you get up 4am to catch a bus trying to avoid the main traffic jam, sometimes you are scared for your life in the traffic as some drivers are really maniacs, and the roads in a very poor condition especially in rainy weather. I got sick but was scared to go to the hospital due to the Ebola epidemia in the country... this is an experience for the lifetime and a good lesson about life in Africa!

I know this post does not exactly answer to your question about finding an alternative tour to go to Nigeria. I am also interested in hearing if there is one. What I want to say is, Nija is a very special but also a difficult country to travel to. You need to prepare well for the trip and also check the current safety situation in the country.

The best way, in my opinion, is to go with a local trusted friend who knows the place and language. It is also important to stay in a good quality hotel with high security (unfortunately very expensive in Lagos) and be aware of the fact that Nigeria is an extremely expensive destination (expensive visa, flight, hotel, taxi, vaccinations and malaria tablets, tips you are expected to pay as a white person etc).

Good luck with your travel plans!

San Marino
Level Contributor
228 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative Holiday in Lagos?

Annii,

Very interesting experience you had. I backpacked alone mainly in the south of Nigeria for a couple of weeks back in 2013. It was less eventful than yours.

Yet overall Nigeria is only mildly appealling as a destination

4. Re: Alternative Holiday in Lagos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2017, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations