We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laguna 96 or Laguna Paron

Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Laguna 96 or Laguna Paron

Hi Friends,

I will travel to Huaraz direct from Lima with my husband by the middle of July.

We are 45 and not experienced in trackings

Id like your opinion... should we try Laguna 96 or Laguna is as Beautiful as?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Huaraz
Huaraz
Ancash Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
2 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laguna 96 or Laguna Paron

I assume you mean Laguna 69! it is only a day trek but quite tough if you have no experience on trekking and especially if you are not fully acclimatised the Laguna is at 4600m and the last stretch is quite steep. That said, most people seemed to manage it without turning back. We did it a couple of years ago details and photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/ laguna 69 is about halfway down.

There are a few other, easier hikes we did from the Lazy Dog Inn just outside of Huaraz which are covered in the next post on.

Sorry, we saw a lot of laguna but I don’t know if Laguna Paron was one of them!

Mentioned in this post
The Lazy Dog Inn
The Lazy Dog Inn
188 Reviews
Huaraz, Peru
Huaraz
Huaraz
Ancash Region, Peru
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laguna 96 or Laguna Paron

Hello! i didn't visit Laguna 69, but I did visit Laguna Paron on my last day. If you're travelling from Huaraz, it takes a long time to get there (a little over three hours) but the lake on a clear day is absolutely stunning!!!! One of the prettiest lakes I've seen (and I've seen lots of lakes). It's really not much of a hike at all to head up to the mirador... only 30 minutes and you get fabulous views of the mountains ringing the lake. It is the largest lake in the Cordillera Blanca too!

The one thing I didn't like was that it takes over three hours to get there from Huaraz (and three hours to get back) and we only spent 2 hours there (which was plenty if you're just going to the mirador). This is easily fixed if you don't mind this or if you stay somewhere closer like in Yungay or Caraz. You can also walk around the left side of the lake to get a closer view of the mountains.

I highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Huaraz
Huaraz
Ancash Region, Peru
Reply to: Laguna 96 or Laguna Paron
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted