We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit

6 posts
Save Topic
First visit

Hi hoping to visit for the first time in July. We like sitting in sun (a bit) poking around interesting shops, historic sites and galleries with perhaps some boat trips or short walk thrown in - we are both active 60 year olds. We also enjoy good food and wine and don't particularly like crowds.

Do you think Budva is the best place to base ourselves in Montenegro and how long do you think we could stay without exhausting all the possibilities? 5 days, 7 days, 11 days?

Grateful for any advise as its a first time destination for us.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Budva Municipality, Montenegro
5 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,731 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit

For what you described Budva is probably the place for food and drink, plus beach and sun, But it is a vibrant place, I would not call it crowded, but busy. Plus it is beautiful.

As for how many days, i would stay as long as you can, I will be there for 6 weeks this summer and sure enough will not be bored for a split second, You could do daytrips tp beautiful Kotor and take the little shuttle bus to Sveti Stefan. There is a island in front of Budva called Hawaii(not the official name) and a ferry runs there every 30 min, cost is €3 roundtrip.3 great beaches are there.

For a longer daytrip you could take the little shuttle bus to Petrovac too which is rather nice, I think they have around 5 trips a day back and forth. They just redone there promenade and it is rather nice. At the bus stop you can see the schedule to Petrovac(to sveti stevan it does not matter as the bus runs every 10 min /20 min at night until 3am)

If you have any other questions, just ask. I am here to help,lol

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Sveti Stefan
Sveti Stefan
Petrovac
Petrovac
Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
400 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit

Budva is noisy and very crowded in July. I would avoid it in July and August, any other time in a year is bearable

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,731 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit

Minds differ, I love July/August in Budva for example

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit

Budva is nice place. But I will not recommend it to people looking for a quiet place. Was there last year, august. And I can say that it was really crowded. I liked it because of the food and the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
england
Destination Expert
for Montenegro
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit

I would recommend Budva for sea, sand and frolics. It is right up the street of many people. I’m not one of those people, so I wouldn’t say it has something for everyone by any means. Based on what you’ve said I’d be recommending a fjord view apartment in Dobrota.

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Reply to: First visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted