We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Station scam

bundeena
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
217 reviews
Station scam

After dodging the hard sell at the station to travel observation class we made it to the platform and was assisted by a lovely mute assistant.

He told us what Train to get on and help with bag onto train.We tried to give him a tip 200 then pulled out a paper saying he was collecting donation for mute school and gave us a paper with peoples names and $10000 donations ,wow just for helping onto the train I signed to give 5,000 he said no 10;000.

I gave him the money but felt ripped off if he wasn’t mute at all and it’s just another scam.this has been the worst place for dishonest people in all out travel and had spoilt the holiday till we reached Sigiriya and everyone has been lovely and no scamming .

My question is is the train helper real or a fake .

11 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Station scam

Even if he was genuine why give him 200 let alone 5000.

A good days wages for an unskilled worker would be in the order of maybe 600 to 1000 rupees a day so maybe twenty or fifty would be more in order especially as he wasn’t even an official porter.

Yes you were scammed big time

Edited: 10 June 2018, 11:31
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: Station scam

Why tip him at all ?

Up to you whether you want to give 10000rps donation to a mute school, that was purely your choice

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Station scam

Hello There,

It's not a real one and why did you pay the price he ask for? If they are really looking for Donations they will not come to carry your bags and ask for donations this just collecting money for drugs :( please mention the station name or person pic so i can inform to tourist police and save other travelers from this lier.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,395 posts
447 reviews
4. Re: Station scam

You must be a green traveler to cough up that much

3 posts
5. Re: Station scam

This is a common scam _ have been approached with the same story many times throughout SL.

bundeena
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
217 reviews
6. Re: Station scam

Meet another Aussie couple at the hotel we are staying and they did the same .

You are in a different country and sometimes you act stupid and are vulnerable guess we are

Just charitable idiots .

bundeena
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
217 reviews
7. Re: Station scam

That’s funny the station is well aware of the station scammers .

bundeena
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
217 reviews
8. Re: Station scam

Not green never been in a country that hassles you so much ,lknow it’s the low season but speaking to other tourists we all are of the same opinion

Sadly.

Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Station scam

I’m sorry but that’s nothing but stupidity on your part.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Station scam

Don't feel bad. You didn't lose your life savings or have your passports stolen. We should all be thankful for your honesty and your warning to other travelers. Thanks

Reply to: Station scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted