We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

Hi

Can anyone tell me more about this forest. I found good info onlime at http://www.srilankaview.com/udawattakele.htm but I'm unclear whether I can enter the forest alone and follow the trails easily.

There's mention of an entrance fee but not where the entrance is or how much it costs to enter or opening times!

Does anyone have any experience of this forest or any other places to walk and enjoy being alone with nature in and around Kandy. Wikipedia/wikitravel at: http://wikitravel.org/en/Kandy mentions lots of scenic walks but no advice on where to begin/find out about routes.

Thanks all

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,163 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

Hi there,

Easy to navigate alone as long as you stick to the paths. Nice city forest/jungle, not a fullscale jungle. Cannot help with current entry price, sorry.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,611 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

hey Zappa

This is on my list of places to visit ASAP :)

according to Wikipedia, the entrance is 20minutes north from the temple of the tooth, right next to the Tapavanaya Monastry, and the entrance fee for foreigners is 570LKR.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udawatta_Kele_Sanctuary

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

Check whether the monkeys can be a menace.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

The real menace is leeches - don't go in sandals.

You need to walk down the A9 a bit. https://maps.google.com/maps…

The give you a map when you pay.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

Great! Thanks everyone, your information is a real help, I'll certainly add this to my list of places to visit :-)

Any tips on how to deal with monkeys? Are they a real problem or just ignore them?

Cheers

Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

I had a nice afternoon walk in this sanctuary last month right before I hiked Knuckles Range. The lady at the entrance will give you a brochure with a map but ask her if certain trail is clear for when I got there with a friend, i think they didn't bother to check the paths so it was practically closed in by grasses. The monastery was close as well. The monkeys we encounterd were not vicious at all! We just walk quietly and they looked at us or did their thing. They weren't aggressive to us. No leeches as well cause it was dry that time. Take mosquito spray with you though. If you like hiking and have done a deal of it, this is easy.

Around Kandy I took a Knuckles Range hike with a guide named Amul (+94713614961) and he was excellent! He even had lunch for us. This one is more challenging. Have fun!

nowhere
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

Don't go alone! Robbery is possible (it is close to the Candy President office and sometimes local people hunting for the tourist money )

Take the tuk-tuk becouse the entrance not from the main road, hidden and very up

8. Re: Udawattakele Royal Forest Sanctuary, Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 14:19