We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant orphanage

leeds
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant orphanage

Planning a 4 week trip, I have read various reports about the orphanage and concerned wen some mention cruelty. Any advice about going or is it better to see elephants in one of the national

Parks on a safari ??

18 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,678 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant orphanage

Unethical due to chaining and beating. Full stop. Sole ethical orphanage is Elephant Transit Home in Uda Walawe, and all parks with jeep safaris are also ethical.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
leeds
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant orphanage

Thank you

Level Contributor
401 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant orphanage

Don't know about the beating, but chaining yes. The problem is they are not releasing the elephants to the wild.

Sarah

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant orphanage

Pinnewala has/had a breeding program and no intention of ever releasing them into the wild. Various nice explanations for this, without the sweet sell or donate, eg to temples, being mentioned when you discuss this. A zoo and a non animal focused one, IMO.

A safari without getting too close for their comfort to the animals is awesome. We've seen the largest numbers of these beautiful animals in the Habarana/ Kaudalla etc area. Never missed seeing them in the other National Parks or even along the roads nearby in the CT.

Archi

Mentioned in this post
Habarana
Habarana
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant orphanage

I'm in Sri Lanka now and went to the orphanage as part of my tour. I've tried to upload a negative review 4 times but the orphanage keep blocking them and then adding their own positive reviews. It's very frustrating because I want to tell people the truth about this place rather than the rubbish being spouted by the orphanage.

It's not a nice experience. The elephants are chained front and rear in order that they cannot move, allegedly because they are aggressive! All I saw was sad elephants with obvious signs of distress. Then I went to Yala and saw happy elephants in the wild, which is a much better alternative. I believe this orphanage to be cruel to elephants and will upset people, as it did me. Ignore some of the positive reviews as they're clearly posted by the owners!

Mentioned in this post
Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant orphanage

Dear all

First of all we have to understand who are the elephants in orphanage and wild life.ofcause wild elephants are living freely because that is there home no one should go there to disturb them.and orphanage elephants are take care ans brought up because of many reasons though they are wild elephants.thats why mahout is being strict with them.and also they have resposible to safe and protect the everybodies life in an emergancy case.also chained elephant are aggresaive ones.thats why they being chained.that is common sence.don't think this is brutle.if you feel this is bad just ignore them and don't writing somthing in here and given bad image on this.elephant is not a small animal and don't think that is easy to controlled.once get bad expeeience with the elephant then understand good od bad

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant orphanage

We have been and did not see any cruelty at all .

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
776 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant orphanage

Got to agree with bladesboy,we have been on two occasions and have never seen any cruelty,that is not to say it doesn't happen.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant orphanage

What about

Udawalawe Elephant Transit Home

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant orphanage

Thank you for taking the time to respond and offer an explanation for the chains. I have been to many elephant sanctuaries across Asia and have never before seen elephants chained by both their rear foot and front foot in order that they cannot move. I still believe this to be cruel despite your explanation that these elephants can be aggressive. Furthermore these elephants were showing signs of distress, rocking back and forth, whilst almost all elephants looked very sad. You have put a great deal of effort into building nice enclosures, so why not let them have more freedom? What you need to understand is that you are killing off your own livelihood by doing this, as more than 400 reviews on Tripadvisor are saying to avoid your orphanage. I note that you have been trying to reject my reviews on tripadvisor but you cannot prevent the tourists from telling the truth; the internet is too big for you to control. However, what you can do is change your ways and show the tourists that you care about these animals and start treating them more humanely. This you can do; it's up to you...

Reply to: Elephant orphanage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted