We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant orphanage

leeds
Level Contributor
33 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant orphanage

Planning a 4 week trip, I have read various reports about the orphanage and concerned wen some mention cruelty. Any advice about going or is it better to see elephants in one of the national

Parks on a safari ??

18 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,630 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Elephant orphanage

Uda Walawe ETH is as ethical as it can be. It also means the tourists can interact far less with the junior jumbos than elsewhere - you only see the bottlefeeding at 6 feet distance for instance. This way the juniors learn to keep distance from humans, as when grown up they will be released in the park and have to bond with their kin instead of becoming pets ;-)

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,630 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Elephant orphanage

And _this_ can happen if jumbos are conditioned in the wrong way by humans...

https:/…

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Elephant orphanage

been to the elephant orphanage recently...

i didn;t see anything bad to be honest. they do use chains but only to transport them to the river accross the road and likewise they use sticks to hit the elephants (only saw this once here) when they are being naughty but saw this 6 or 7 times at least at the transit home.

in that respect take what you read with a pinch of salt. they are trying to do a good thing but at the end of the day if the water is over the road they need someway of transporting them over it - without chains etc they would just all run off

leeds
Level Contributor
33 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Elephant orphanage

Thank you for all the comments. It is very sad to hear such wonderful animals are being treated in such a way. We will not be visiting the orphanage but will see them in one of the parks instead.

Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Elephant orphanage

i would still go honestly... went to both. they were fine. it's nothing worse then what goes on in any zoo around the world. as i said its part of having wild animals on show. I honestly didn't see anything bad at all.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Elephant orphanage

The word 'Zoo' is significant. Yes, there are some well managed zoo's around the world but they are still nothing like having the freedom of the wild (think about living your own life restricted within a hotel for your lifetime, even if luxurious it would become monotonous after a short while). In a country where there is ample opportunity for elephants to roam free there is no excuse.

Consequently, my vote is with the abstainers.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Elephant orphanage

Dear all, for what it's worth this facility has tried to block 4 attempts at leaving a review. They also counter every attempt at a negative review with a positive one of their own, usually turning round the very words used in my attempt at a review. I have reported them to Tripadvisor for committing fraud and am waiting on a response.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
127 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Elephant orphanage

Do you know (follow researches ) that elephants get attacked from Wild elephants if released again to jungle from pinnawala or any place where they kept aside from the community ? Male elephants are keep aside in day time when they sexually activate as they are acting aggressively.

Reply to: Elephant orphanage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted