We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride an Elephant

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ride an Elephant

We will be on a cruise next April, with one day at port. We have booked a tour from the ship to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage, and should be there for 3-4 hours. I understand PEO does not do elephant rides, but I have heard that there are independent operators just outside the gates. We would like to get a ride maybe 10 or 15 minutes - enough for a taste. Can anyone confirm if these independent operators exist, and if so, has anyone done it, and how easy is it to get a ride and get back in the gate again? We don't want to go a long way from our tour. Any reasonable suggestions are welcome.

12 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,964 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ride an Elephant

Hi there,

Quite easy. Keep the orphanage ticket to be let inside again.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ride an Elephant

You can ride an elephant at Millennium Elephant Foundation (quite close to PEO).

http://www.millenniumelephantfoundation.com/

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,964 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ride an Elephant

Yes but there are also a few independent ride offerings near the Orphanage entrance. In a packed time schedule like theirs probably the easiest.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ride an Elephant

Upali Elephant Ride and Bath

(One of those Elephant Ride Centres After Millennium Conservation Centre)

I wish to lodge a complaint against Upali Elephant Ride and Bath which is based in Pinnawala.

I had arrived at Upali Elephant Ride and Bath (one of those elephant ride centres) on 5 Sep 17 late morning and paid LKR 9000 for a 20 minute elephant ride for 2 adults and 2 children (at LKR 3000 for adult and LKR 1500 for child) and bath but the ride was only 10 mins long.

The person who sold me the tickets had told me it would be longer than the 15 min ride tickets but it turned out that we took the same route and shorter duration of 10 mins as those who had bought the 15 mins ticket.

In addition, there was no elephant bath shown although it was clearly stated to be provided on the tickets.

The worse part of the ride was the worker who followed us to take photos kept asking for monies. Even though I had given a sizeavle amount of monies to the person leading the elephant, he kept pestering for more monies to be given to his co-worker for taking photos for my family. In the end, to stop the pestering, I gave more monies to his co-worker. WARNING - DO NOT GO TO UPALI ELEPHANT RIDE AND BATH. You will get ripped off!!! I REPEAT - DO NOT GO TO UPALI ELEPHANT RIDE AND BATH. You will get ripped off!!!

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
661 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ride an Elephant

Actually elephant is not for ride. Just go and see them in natural environment. Even those foundations or whatever did not treat them well. Poor elephants are victims of those horrible story.. So please don't help them to do it.. Go for Minneria/ Kalawewa or Udawalawa & see them with their natural habitats.

Edited: 14 September 2017, 03:39
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ride an Elephant

Donald

You have described the Pinnewala and Millenieum experiences perfectly. There have been so many reports like this and I'm happy that you have added yours. Maybe tourists not liking being harrassed and ripped off will lead to less business and therefore to less enthusiasm on the part of the owners [Sri Lankan Wildlife Department, I think] and managers for keeping these animals and abusing them by selling them for rides and worse.

I hope that you will now enjoy seeing these beautiful animals roaming freely in one of the National Parks.

Regards Archi

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ride an Elephant

ceylontoday.lk/print20170401CT20170630.php…

Sad...:-(

Sweden
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ride an Elephant

I think it is shocking that people still think it is ok to ride on elephants, just search the internet how they are treated and then see them in the wild instead.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ride an Elephant

I agree : Go and enjoy elephants in the wild national parks like Udawalawe, Minneriya and others. It is mucht nicer to see them in the wild. It is much more beautifull !

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ride an Elephant

wild animals are nicer and happier than kepted ones! All lives are precious!! ;)

Reply to: Ride an Elephant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pinnawala