We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Aware of mixed reviews of elephant orphanage. mainly want to see elephants bathing in the river. Can you watch that without going to orphanage complex? what's the best restaurant to view the elephants?

10 replies to this topic
Avissawella, Sri...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Dear Joanna

In the elephant orphanage you can see in one time more than 30 elephant bathing. there is 2 restaurant near by river belong to same group. on the way to orphanage also can see elephant bathing in elephant riding places.but only 2-3 elephant.

BR

GUIDE SU

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Usually i book my room at hotel elephant park so you can see elephant bathing without going to orphanage. Bath time 10am and 2pm. Otherwise you have to take a ticket coast 500rs

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,514 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

That's quite an outdated price (for non-SAARC), see top question on entrance fees for the current one ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Winterswijk
Level Contributor
148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

It's also an totaly outdate concept. Pinnawala is a ZOO and not an orphange. The animals will never be put back into the wild. Elephants should live in the wild, like the other 6000 do in Sri Lanka. You don't have to go to Pinnawala, go to one of the National Parks and see happy elephants! Or go to the Elephant Transit Home in Udawalawe, the only orphange where the baby elephants are fed, cured and released back into the wild! And no, you cannot pet baby elephants in the ETH, because they are wild elephants which have their own will and are not broken to obey humans.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

I don't know that we have time to go to a more elephant friendly site if we just have 8 hours from Colombo to have a look around, aware it is a zoo at orphanage

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,514 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Totally agree, ETH is too far for your itin. Copypasting of wildlife pr info is not bad but has its limits ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

is 10 and and 2pm correct current times for elephants at the river? can anyone view them or do you have to have orphanage entry ticket? how long is drive from Colombo to Pinnawala please? anywhere nice to stop en route?

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,514 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Hi there,

2.30 hours drive. Ambepussa is a useful stop for refreshments. Well from the terrace of some of the restaurants you have some view on them too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

Hey,

i was checking the same as will be visiting in June. the elephant freedom project seems expensive at 98usd per person from 8:30 am - 16:30...with lunch (which you help prepare) and also bathing and walking with the elephants. but if money wasnt a constraint i would do it....check out the website for more info.

thanks,

travelbyyg

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant

your post resembles one of the places annecdotally reported as hiring elephants to make up a per person package adding coooking and sometimes even overpriced accommodation and charging unbelevable prices. USD98 is about LKR 14500. Considering that experienced teachers earn little more than LKR 40,000 per month, this might alert you to the scale of the cheeky charges. That together with the ethics of hiring/leasing elephants for this kind of be rich scheme and preying on the emotions of unwitting tourists might give rise to some serious decisions. The Freedom Project was not either of the two places I was told about by unhappy visitors but it's worth your further research, just because of the hefty price.

I agree that when time poor the zoo might be the only option. Elephants are such glorious beasts I can understand your wish to see them.

Regards Archi

Reply to: when are the elephants at the river and best restaurant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted