We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

My husband and I are visiting New Delhi for a few days. We usually like exploring on our own, but it seems many people talk about touring with guides. Is this a city you recommend having a guide or can it be easily explored without one?

Mentioned in this post
New Delhi
New Delhi
National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
11 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
968 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

No good reason not to explore on your own. No need to decide one way or another prior to arrival. The hotel will be happy enough to arrange a driver or a guide. I visited for 5 days and toured the immediate area for 5 days. Lajpat Nagar would not normally be the focus of a tour of New Delhi but the immediate area never ceased to entertain me. Transit is very cheap but very congested and in turn very time consuming. Guides are inexpensive and available on a moment's notice.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 14:07
Mentioned in this post
New Delhi
New Delhi
National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
149 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

Namaste,

Would recommend getting a guide for let's say half a day or couple of hours on 1st day to get a feel of the city and one can take loads of tips on exploring stuff on your own from that person.

Best Regards / City Linkers

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
610 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

Hi

Getting a Tour Guide on atleast one of your days in Delhi would be a great idea. After all you would get a lots of tips and information on shopping, eateries, important places in Delhi, and so many facts on Delhi, and generally on India. On that note, it would make your tour more memorable.

Mentioned in this post
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

Hi,

One day guided tour is well enough for delhi sightseeing tour and if you wish to known very deeply about the all attraction so guided tour would be must.

Regards,

Jitender

GO MY JOURNEY

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

I have been to Delhi a few times now and have never had a guide to get about. I have used a combination of the metro and Autos - plus a bit of research beforehand, of course. The extension of the metro right up to the Red Fort makes it even easier now. Guides tend to appear within certain monuments (such as Humayun's tomb) and can be worthwhile.

Mentioned in this post
Humayun's Tomb
Humayun's Tomb
8,927 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Durham
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

If you have several days, then you have plenty of time to explore on your own. If you are short of time then I would say take a guide (or a driver at least) as you will cover far more ground in a short space of time because finding your way around Delhi takes a bit of working out (though the metro is very fast once you have the hang of it, but signage to monuments is not good). Delhi is very spread out and the monuments are in different areas, so you will certainly need to use some form of transport to get around. The metro can be very busy at certain times of the day.

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

I would do it on your own. The more interesting places to visit take an hour or two to explore. Being followed around by a guide will drive you crazy. Information about the sight is easily found with an internet search and the information is more reliable. You also have to be very cautious with guides as many of them try and take you to establishments were they get commissions. Often common at shops and restaurants were the quality is questionable and the price is inflated.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

I have never had a guide for the city. It is quite easy to get around by metro and occasional auto. I prefer it this way as I can go at my own pace and wander off the beaten track. At some of the monuments, such as Humayun's tomb, a guide will appear and will often be worth their tip. Sometimes it is the security guards earning a bit extra. Of course, this approach does require good research beforehand.

Edited: 01 May 2018, 09:11
Mentioned in this post
Humayun's Tomb
Humayun's Tomb
8,927 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Moe Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

How much should I pay for a guide at sites?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?

Hi,

An approved English speaking tour guide cost will be INR 1500 for each city.

Regards,

GO MY JOURNEY

Reply to: New Delhi - Guide or no guide?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted