We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it going to be safe...........

KANSAS
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it going to be safe...........

We are going to be driving thru Montgomery on our way to/from Destin FL & I thought we should stop and do the Rosa Parks Musuem, MLK house, etc. But with the police shootings around the country I wondered if you think it is safe to do that?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

Please remove this post and the Birmingham post. They are not fair to the residents of those cities. Will Kansas be safe?

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

Agree with Felschurch!!

Alabama
Level Contributor
26 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

Montgomery is usually much less volatile than the areas you are hearing about on the news. Just treat it like any city (use common sense) and you should be fine. I have several friends who live down that way and they haven't said anything about the city getting worked up any out of the ordinary.

KANSAS
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

I was not posting to start a debate, just that I wanted to know if there had been anything volatile in those areas. I am not aware of what part of town they are in and if certain hours should be avoided.

There are certain times that I would not recommend going to downtown Topeka & we just had a police shooting in KC. Sorry if it offended you.

KANSAS
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

Thanks!

Montgomery, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

i personaly live in montgomery and it is a very safe city of course like in any city use common sense. just have fun and remember we have good old southern hospitality

Thai Mueang...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

Agree with Felschurch!!

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

I live here & I can safely say that you should not have any problems at all. The museum is located in the downtown area which they have done a really good job of restoring over the last several years.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
11 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

We get these same questions in our hometown and have never found them offensive--others can post and so can you.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it going to be safe...........

The fact is that practically no city is as bad as the media portrays it. Crime stats which might be quoted as representing some cities, unfortunately for the poor residents of underprivileged areas of those cities, typically reflect challenged areas, whose residents are victims to domestic violence or drug dealing with a smaller percentage of crimes affecting people in the mainstream business or tourist districts. You can stop for the night out on the interstate somewhere as opposed to an urban area and have your vehicle hit by thieves or highjackers seeing easy access to and from the motel parking lot from the highway or be a random target of anyone who can roll down the interstate. Just use the common sense you were given to safeguard your family and possessions anywhere you go.

Get answers to your questions about Montgomery