We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Montgomery, AL (Maxwell AFB) in Nov 2016

South Carolina
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Montgomery, AL (Maxwell AFB) in Nov 2016

I'm looking for advice on where the best places are to look for housing that's not too far from base. I plan on renting (house or apartment). I'm 24, a single parent with a 2 yr old. Any additional information about Montgomery would be great as well! (Things to do, Places to Eat, Shopping etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Montgomery, AL (Maxwell AFB) in Nov 2016

This may get removed since it is not technically travel related, so here is my opinion in the mean time.

Prattville or Millbrook (both a little north of Montgomery) would be your best options. Apartments in each city as well as rental houses. Prattville is bigger and a little closer, but they are adjacent cities. I live in Millbrook and have lots of military neighbors. Prattville has tons of shopping and dining options - pretty much all of the chains and several local places. Each city has regular events around the holidays like parades, fireworks, etc., so there is always something to do. With our usually mild climate, there are lots of things to do outdoors any time of the year.

If you would prefer to be a little closer to the base and in Montgomery, the Dalraida area has lots of houses that rent (not sure about availability). It is a nice family area of several neighborhoods/streets.

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: Moving to Montgomery, AL (Maxwell AFB) in Nov 2016

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2016, 12:50
Get answers to your questions about Montgomery