We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

Can anybody help please, I am trying to travel to Muscle Shoals form Memphis, would it be best to hire a car or is there public transport? Also which is a good hire car firm if no buses to Shoals?

Would be very grateful for any help. I am travelling form Uk and going to Memphis. I also wanted to fit in a visit to Clarksdale for a few days, is there any public transport from Memphis to Clarksdale, or is it best to do the hire car also? Any help would be great as I am starting to panic a bit.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
23 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

I live about 30 minutes from muscle shoals and to my knowledge there isn't a bus that runs from Memphis to the shoals. Not 100% sure but good luck!!!

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

I would post on the Mississippi forum for info on Clarksdale.

Clarksdale is a very small town with some great but small music venues and the Delta Blues museum.

I see you posted on the Memphis forum for info. Hopefully some of the locals will give you some info.

Edited: 09 May 2016, 19:35
Mentioned in this post
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

Thanks for that Austin, then I think it'll be a hire car, safest bet, that's if I can remember to drive on the right :0

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

Thanks Peachbelle, will try the Mississippi forum, I didn't realise there was one but that's a great help, thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
623 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

I would rent a car from Hertz and drive, it will take around 3 hours and is a very simple route.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

Hi helpful people again,, possibly my travel itenary has changed a bit.

My son and I might now be travelling with friends up from New Orleans and across to Muscle Shoals by hire car as they also would like to visit the Fame studios on Monday June 13th. They are then continuing on their way to Tampa from Muscle Shoals after the Fame studios visit. My question is, is there any transport that me and my son can take either by a car hired from Muscle Shoals so that we can drive down to Clarksdale to continue our travel itenary and then onto Memphis or is ther a Greyhound bus we can take or a mega bus or an Uber car hire option. Does anyone know please?

If there isn't any of those options then I would not travel to Muscle Shoals unfortunately for fear of being stranded and Any help would be appreciated.

Julie from UK.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

I don't see that Greyhound has a stop in Muscle Shoals. Uber is definitely not an option as it would cost a small fortune (if they are even in Muscle Shoals). There are a couple of Enterprise rental car locations in Muscle Shoals that would be a good option for you. You can pick up there, drive to Clarksdale and then on to Memphis where you can drop the car off at an Enterprise location. Depending on what you plan to do in Memphis, you may need the car there. Post on the Memphis forum with your plans to see if the locals can better advise about your options while in town.

Note that public transit (and even commercial options like buses) are not as convenient in many areas of the US, especially when you are talking about traveling through multiple states. Also note that we use the term "rental car" when you will be driving. Hiring a car would be someone else driving (like Uber or a limo).

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

Do you know of anyone who has got a Greyhound or a Mega bus from Muscle Shoals to Clarksdale without doing the rental car? I see there is a Mega bus stop on Highway 20 E Tuscumbia. If I was to do the enterprise rental, I see they have offices in Muscle Shoals, Clarksdale and Memphis, all places I need to get from A to B. I would do the Mega bus if it's simple enough, but does anyone know the timetables? Thanks for any help. JUlie

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis

I just checked the Megabus website and found no info on stops in that part of AL. The bus goes from Birmingham to Memphis by way of Hwy 78/I 22. I know because have seen it while traveling up to Tupelo and Memphis.

Getting a rental car from Enterprise would probably work just call them.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Tupelo
Tupelo
Mississippi
Reply to: Travelling to Muscle Shoals from Memphis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Muscle Shoals