We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Visa for transfering from Pudong to Honquiao?

Honolulu
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I need a Visa for transfering from Pudong to Honquiao?

Hi, I ll be taking an China Eastern flight from Honolulu to Vietnam this summer. I see 5 years ago there was a similar question but I’m wondering if there has been any changes since. My flight shows I have a 16 hour layover in Shanghai and that I have to leave Pudong Airport terminal 1 to go to another airport, Hongqiao Airport terminal 2. I didn’t realize this until after I booked the tickets.

Now my concern am I required to get a VISA because I have to leave the Pudong Airport to go to Hongqiao Airport? I tried calling justfly.com where I booked my ticket from and they’re useless saying it’s my responsibility to figure it out and I need to call the Consulate to figure that out. Consulate in SF is useless mailbox full and all numbers I called no one answered.

Since I have 16 hour layover, I’d like to visit Shanghai and get a hotel and get some real sleep prior to my connecting flight. I don’t want to pay $140 for a VISA (saw online), from experience, how does this work, can someone help me?

Any suggestions and experience on how to deal with this is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Hongqiao Airport
Hongqiao Airport
Shanghai, China
3 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a Visa for transfering from Pudong to Honquiao?

If you hold a US passport, you qualify for the transit without visa for up to 144 hrs in Shanghai. Make sure you have a printed copy of your entire flight itinerary, showing you'll exit Shanghai by flight within 144 hrs to another country.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,756 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a Visa for transfering from Pudong to Honquiao?

No worries, this is allowed.

Honolulu
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a Visa for transfering from Pudong to Honquiao?

That’s great thanks for the info!

Reply to: Do I need a Visa for transfering from Pudong to Honquiao?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted