We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massage scam in shanghai

a g
Shanghai, China
1 post
Save Topic
Massage scam in shanghai

Please dont go to any massage center along with unknown people you meet on the street. Here is my experience,

A nice cute girl approached me and offered massage for 100 rmb. She took a cab and we went to nanjing road, puxi. Once we are in she left and i sat in a small room and a girl came and the massage was over in a few minutes. Then she took the money and at this point 3 guys entered the room and they would not let me out and they beat me and thretened me to pay 10000 rmb for using the room. Then they took my wallet and it was a horrible situation. I was there in a very bad situation and paid them 9000 rmb and came out. I could not fight with them as it was they blocked all exits and i was trapped in their place.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

Oh boy, going to massage center with unknown people you meet on the street?

Did you report this to the police?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

I am sorry we cannot warn you about all the problems in every large city in the world, including Shanghai. Common sense must be learned yourself.

I would no sooner go with strangers in NYC or London anywhere as I would in Shanghai. You learned the hard way.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

That's terrible, it must've been very frightening for you but your profile says your location is Shanghai, if this is your town shouldn't you have been more cautious.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

Actually those guys soliciting for business are real nuisance. Everytime I walked back to my hotel, there will be guys asking you to go for massageeeee and free show. Just look and no need to pay. NEVER answer them or go with them. Keep walking briskly and they will give up after 5 meters.

Shanghai is just like any big city in the world....be careful. If you really want a rub, it is safer to do it in your hotel.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

I am a little surprised to see "a g" has 9,100 yuan in his wallet, do Chinese often carry that much cash with them? maybe, China is a cash society, still, that is a lot of cash. If true, the thugs are bad businesspeople, why waste energy to beat up a "customer" if you can take the cash easily.

I have a slightly different perspective about the street hustlers, they work hard to make a very meager living, at the very least, I understand and appreciate their work ethics, vs beggers and welfare recipients who don't work. I have compassion for them, that drive and work ethics will make few lucky ones very successful in the future. Just smile and firmly say "NO, thank you." Unless you were born rich or forgot where you came from, just let it be.

Be somewhat careful with the "Massage" button on the hotel phone. It is common knowledge for frequent China travelers, one pushes that button for prostitutes, not just cheap hotels, often big fancy int'l chain hotels too.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

After thinking about this overnight, I have my doubts if this post is for real. First time post. The OP had 9000 yuan? The Shanghai resident follows a prostitute into a taxi and then into a strange building? Three thugs threaten to beat him up?

Sounds like something out of an adventure/action movie, nothing we have heard about here. Crimes like this are punished in China, if and when reported to the PSB. Apparently this guy did not call police. Where was his cell phone? There are many police on East Nanjing Road. Just scream! Report the location.

This sounds like the beginning of an urban legend, "I paid over USD $1,200 and almost lost my life after a short time with prostitute on East Nanjing Road." Truth-o-meter rating: fishy.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 22:10
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,663 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

Simple solution: dial 110 (police)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

9000 Yuan would be about 10mm thick of used 100 Yuan notes. No chance you can fold it into yr wallet. Sounds fishy to me too.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

Repeated warnings had been given about this ,so its no more a surprise.I had reiterated many many times till my throat hoarse,that never ever follow a stranger for massage or beautiful meini anywhere in Shanghai or common sense dictates Not anywhere in the world.U will b digging yr own grave if u do so.But somehow common sense r never common.One thing that i had noticed is that they will fleeced u of yr money but never harm you physically even though they may threaten to feed u to the fishes,But since u r in a helpless situation ,u naturally wouldempty yr wallets to them.Probably the safest course of action for u is to report to the police but u may feel embarrased to do so.,as u had been fooled.This scam is not only inShanghai or Beijing but i could have named a few many other cities outside of China.I feel financially u would be drained if u follow strangers in China but u may lose yr wife in some orher parts of the world.Need less to say this is actually a foolish mistake,But well.take it as a lesson well learned.,due to human desire.I had mentioned before if one needs massage in Shanghai pls go to proper massage shops or centers but not been take toone which probably looks suspicious.For westerners n foreigners its best to go to those been mentioned by us like Dragonfly,Green Massage n many others.Even the hotels ones r very safe but much more expensive.How expensive also cant never be motre expensive than yr lesson paid.

10. Re: Massage scam in shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 October 2011, 09:35