We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
197 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

We have been using National for the past three years when going to CR. Back in June/July they moved office location and we are now usually faced with awful traffic. Looking online it looks like Payless is near the airport and the rates (even after we add in the insurance) can not be beat. What is stopping me is the reviews. Anyone have first hand experience?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

The reviews you've read are first hand experiences.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

Payless has a terrible reputation. I would look at some alternates. Vamos, Wild Rider, Alamo, Adobe, Solid, Service - all are recommended.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

Always make sure all car rental companies give you an actual quote including the mandatory basic insurance. It is not optional in Costa Rica so they should be forthcoming with what it will actually cost you. Then bring the quote in writing when you get the car or have it delivered.

Also if you need the car delivered such as to your hotel make sure it is free or they tell you if there is an additional cost. Same thing with one way rentals - some people fly one way and drive back - check if there is a drop off cost. Some rental companies will let you drop off for free at any of their offices in country.

Berni

Alajuela

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
El Paso Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

they did not stand by the rates quoted on the reservation and overcharged on the insurance. AWFUL!

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

Car insurance is issued by the government insurance agency here knowm as INS - not sure how they would have overcharged or how they could? Not saying they didn't - just wondering how?

Berni

Alajuela

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

Yeah, I'm also wondering this, Berni.

Can you give us some details, SpearTX?

There is a mandatory - by law - liability insurance that you must pay for, no matter what other insurance you have. Is this what you are talking about?

Please....... tell us more....

Edited: 03 March 2013, 06:19
El Paso Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

basic liability insurance is $9 per day, they charged $22 per day

that is how. and when i said the basic was $9 they lied and said it had gone up, I either signed for it or did nt get the car. when i got back to the states, I checked to find out I was correct, I checked my papers, which they kept when I returned the car. They also tried to charge over $700 when the quote with orbitz was $280. When I pointed it out, they said trhey did not have to stand by the price. The car was a Jimny 4x4 which I have rented before for less than $30 per day every other car company. The tires were bald, there was rust and dings all over the car

Edited: 11 March 2013, 11:02
8. Re: Payless Car rental company...good or bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 14:17