We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Dunlap, Illinois
4 posts
1 review
Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

We are going to be in Alajuela this weekend and want to go to mass at the Cathedral but I haven't been able to find Mass times anywhere online.. Does anyone know what time Sunday masses are? Also, are there restaurants and/or shops open on Sunday?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Based on what I could find it looks like 5 masses on Sundays: 7, 9, 11am, 5, 7pm. Our Lady of Pilar Cathedral: www.diocesisdealajuela.org/index.php…

https://www.facebook.com/catedral.alajuela

Most shops & restaurants will be open on Sundays. Some will have limited hours in observance of the sabbath.

Dunlap, Illinois
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Thanks for your message. I looked at the two websites you posted and didn't see any specific mass times. I'm guessing the times you gave sound accurate; I remember seeing something similar online. Are you familiar with this area? If you have any suggestions of any places to see near the church please share. We will be there with our 3 boys: ages 11, 13 and 15. Thanks :)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Sorry, the first link is in Spanish. Here's the English translation via Google translate: http://goo.gl/8NLl0

No, I'm not that familiar with Alajuela. I have spent quite a bit of time in the nearby town of Grecia, but only briefly visited Alajuela once or twice. Nearly every town has a main square with the church nearby. Check out the list of 'things to do on TA' and more will chime in with suggestions: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g309224-Activiti…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Keep in mind that there is another large cathedral in Alajuela: La Iglesia de la Agonia is a beautiful cathedral, not far from the center of town. It was built in the 1940's, I think, and has fantastic architecture. Here are the times of mass:

Horario de misas en el centro parroquialLunes:06:00pm;

Martes a Miércoles:11:00am; 11:00am; 06:00pm;

Viernes:11:00am; 06:00pm;

Sábado:11:00am; 04:00pm; 06:00pm;

Domingo:06:30am; 08:30am; 10:30am; 04:00pm; 06:00pm;

(Lunes=Monday, Martes a Miercoles = Tuesday and Wednesday, Viernes=Friday, Sabado=Saturday, Domingo=Sunday)

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
602 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Most shops are closed on Sundays. Some open in the morning but there is not much "shopping" available on Sundays.

Restaurants, no problem . .. the best, not far from the center is Norman's Jalapenos just north of the Cathedral.

Berni

Alajuela

Dunlap, Illinois
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Thanks for the info! We will try and go to one of these churches, they both sound very nice. Do you think they both have places nearby that we could have lunch after mass? Thanks for your help! 2 days until we leave, can't wait!!!!

Dunlap, Illinois
4 posts
1 review
7. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

Do you know if the La Iglesia de la Agonia is near any places to have lunch?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

There are some restaurants nearby but unfortunately, I can't remember any names.

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
9. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

hi just wanted to know what is the name of the Cathedral located

just in the Alajuela centro? thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Alajuela Cathedral - Mass times & are shops open on Sunday?

The Cathedral is the name of it. It may have another, "official" name but this is what it is called.