We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

rep.dom
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

Hi. My husband will be taking a course at incae business school so we are going for the whole month of July. He wants to find a place we can stay with our son that is as close to school as possible. I need help.this will be a first time there

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

You csn check...La Garita...Alajuela by barrio San Jose...or the other way ...Atenas...

Roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

I would look at Trip Advisor Vacation Rentals for Alajuela and also Homeaway and Flip Key. For a month's stay, renting a house or condo or apartment would probably work better for you.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
rep.dom
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

I did see some properties online at la garita. How close is that to the school.? Are there any summer camps or activities for kids around. It can be in spanish.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

The school is located in La Garita, so properties that say they are located in La Garita should be pretty close. You can usually get a map of all the properties that are for rent and compare that to the map from the INCAE website.

As for activities for kids -- I'm not sure about that. Kids will be out of school part of July but not the whole month. Really, there's a lot to do not far away in the way of tours or excursions. Zoo Ave, The Butterfly Farm are of particular interest to kids as well as a trip to Poas Volcano - maybe a coffee farm tour if the kids are old enough. Otherwise, a trip to Braulio Carrillo National Park would be great - the aerial tram there is amazing. If you don't want to drive, you can get a taxi or go with an organized tour or take the public bus.

Mentioned in this post
Poas Volcano
Poas Volcano
3,110 Reviews
Poas Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
347 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

You don't say how old your son is . . . as far as what would be appropriate?

Berni

Alajuela

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
rep.dom
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

Hi! Sorry .. He's 9. We are going to stay at housing at incae. My husband received information that the course classes are long and he was advised to stay closer. We will have a car. I have to find some activity for my son and myself. I can't find any summer camps starting after the second week in july( date I arrive with him)

I would love any information on the area. Grocery shopping, restaurants, activities and beaches close by.

Thanks!

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
347 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

Hmmm . . . first get a map . . . the Toucan map is the best by far. You will see some of the La Garita road on it - for us locals we think of this road as starting at Princessa Marina in Alajuela and going for 10km into a winding descent towards Atenas about 30 minutes away. INCAE is about 5km from the Princessa. It is one long rural road with traffic sometimes going too fast with little shopping or events of any kind but full of viveros - the best plant shopping anywhere in Costa Rica. Behind INCAE is our favorite - acres and acres of plants at Processa. Houses/properties actually on the La Garita road tend to be very big and very private. There are small settlements along the way.

A good place to ask more questions is here groups.yahoo.com/costaricaliving - you will find quite a few members in the Alajuela area. I haven't heard of kids camps in the area but try contacting a local school. If you email me off list at the Pura Vida Hotel I can connect you with one locally though not on La Garita.

Berni

Alajuela

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Pura Vida Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel
830 Reviews
Alajuela, Costa Rica
8. Re: Going to stay for a month.. Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 12:17