We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

Verona, New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

Hi all,

I saw a tour company offering a tour of Poás, Doka Coffee and La Paz waterfalls for $100. This seems pretty steep, and I was wondering (1) if it would be cheaper to book something like this when we get there or (2) if it would be possible to do something like this solo for less. I know there's a bus that goes to Poás every day; is there a way to get from Poás to Doka or La Paz, other than hiring a taxi? How much would a taxi be, give or take?

Also, a general question -- is it cheaper to book tours when we get there, in general, or is it better in advance? I speak Spanish so I'd have no trouble working things out on the fly, and every other trip I've taken I've booked things as I wanted to do them, not in advance, but there's so much to do in Costa Rica that I feel a little overwhelmed. I wonder if it's worth it to wait until we arrive.

We'll be starting our trip in Alajuela and this type of day is why we're planning on staying for an extra day, so I'd love to be able to work it out.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

If you have your own vehicle, you can do this for cheaper. If you don't, not a bad deal (admission to La Paz is expensive, not sure about Doka).

I wouldn't recommend public transportation for Poas (wouldn't get there early enough) and it's doubtful you could fit all three in using public transportation.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,145 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

I have seen this deal before. IMO if it is the same one I have seen that comes with breakfast and lunch than it's not such a bad deal at all. Thats a driver, entrance to all 3 places, and 2 meals. I agree with Racandee that if you have rental car you can do it cheaper, but I don't think its too bad at all if it is the tour I am thinking of.

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

Definitely worth the money. Probably around $100 now. I had the opportunity to do this when my niece was visiting and decided to take two days and use my own car instead. With gas prices here, it cost us much more to make two trips up the mountain. BUT, we got to go at our own rate and would have both been burned out with so much to do in 1 day...it is a marathon to do in one day.

Book things on the fly, not in advance. Your plans will change based on how much you do each day. You are not going to get a discount for booking early, so why do it?

Edited: 31 July 2013, 12:42
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
343 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

Entrance fees alone are about $50 for all 3 items, if you rented a van/guide you'd pay $130 or so for the day. If you are 3 or 4 people you will do the same trip for the same price with your own guide at your own pace. Otherwise book it, it is a good price. Booking on the same day or the day before is sometimes impossible FYI . . . tour operators here are not always "on the ball" and instant when dealing with typical tourist issues like "what do you mean you don't take a debit card" or "why can't you pick me up in Upala" or "my daughter needs to sit in the front seat or she'll barf all over the passengers" and such. So if you need a good guide or a simpler experience book ahead by a few days at least.

5. Re: Poas - Doka - La Paz waterfalls tour price? or go solo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 12:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now