We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papagayo Peninsula

Atlanta
Level Contributor
56 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Papagayo Peninsula

Hi, all. We have an opportunity to stay at an Exclusive Resorts property at the Poro Poro Beach Club. We'll have 4 kids (10,7,7,5) with us. The Ritz is and the Poro Poro restaurant look wonderful, but our lifestyle is not usually 5 star! :) I'm looking for options for us that are more low key. Are there any in the area? We've always stayed further south (Playa Grande, Samara, etc..). I'd love to figure out how to combine my traditional flip flop lifestyle with our luxe location. Thank you!!

4 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papagayo Peninsula

A bit confused about your Qn. Are you committed / already staying in the mentioned 5 * property and want to know what clothes to pack for it? Or you have an opportunity to stay there, but are not going to and are looking for alternatives - beaches? Accommodations?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
56 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papagayo Peninsula

We are staying at a property. We've been to Costa RIca 3 times, but our trips have not been on the Peninsula. I think the furthest north we've been is Playa Del Coco. I'm aware of the restaurant at the Poro Poro Beach Club, and the restaurant at the Ritz. I'm looking for more casual eating options in that area... and more cost effective. Frankly, I'll take any info about the peninsula. I know Poro Poro has a beach, but I'd love to know any other great beaches for kids. Best grocery store in the area? With 4 kids, we'll be eating in a lot. I'm assuming I'd pack for this trip like any other CR trip. The digs may be fancier, but not wearing make up or blow drying my hair is going to have to be okay! lol!

Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papagayo Peninsula

Hi there - we will be staying in the same location later this month. How was your trip? Any tips for a first timer to Costa Rica and Exclusive Resorts? We are traveling with 4 kids and my mom who will be more interested in calmer tours and attractions. Would love any feedback!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
627 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papagayo Peninsula

The Papagayo peninsula is absolutely gorgeous, just a little isolated. Coco is about a 40 minute drive or a 15 minute water taxi from the peninsula. Since you already know Playas del Coco, you know it's a flip flop casual place! :) Most boats (if booking a sailing, snorkeling or sport fishing tour) can pick you up right on the beaches of the peninsula. If you have a rental car or book a driver, I recommend the Palo Verde River tour (very calm tour, calm water) and see crocodiles, birds, white faced monkeys and other wildlife. You can do an adventure day pass with Guachipelin https:/…one-day-adventure-nature-pass.html or Borinquin http://www.borinquenresort.com/activities.php and choose which adventures to do (horseback riding, canopy tour, mud baths, hot springs, etc.) If you're not renting a car, here's a company that can take you around or even just be your airport shuttle - http://blueskyprivatetourscr.com/

Reply to: Papagayo Peninsula
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted