We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brit who is looking for some sun

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Brit who is looking for some sun

Hello all, bear with - as a Brit who sees more than their fair share of rain I am a wee bit worried that my trip with my two daughters to tamarindo (8th July we land) might be a rain fest. Weather apps are designed by kill-joys I am sure but is it as bad as they say- rain all day?? What has it been like this last few days? I wld just love 4-5 hours of sun and beach time.. downpours followed by a bit more sun wld be great!

We are off to monteverde, arenal and flamingo bay so we know we will get some rain but should I be prepared ( and packing) for whole days of the wet stuff?? Not sure how much difference there is to rain fall in these areas.

Also - am single mum, not worried about safety per se as I know CR has amazing reputation for being super friendly, more concerned for my sanity in terms of finding people to chat with!! Anyone know of any really cool / unusual places to take the girls to that will show them a bit about local CR life/ really fun places to eat / hang out?? We have all the zip line/ SUP/ horseriding / nature walks sorted!

Thanks one and all and pls excuse my "I neeeed some vitamin d urgently" anxiety!

6 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brit who is looking for some sun

See July weather - costa-rica-guide.com/travel/best-time/july/ .

Packing for CR (note Monteverde!)- twoweeksincostarica.com/packing-for-costa-ri… .

Safety - twoweeksincostarica.com/safety-tips-costa-ri… .

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brit who is looking for some sun

July is my favourite time of the year in Tamarindo. Very lush and green, fewer visitors, and more abundant birdlife. Expect rain every day or two, for a few hours, usually in the afternoon or evening. Mornings are usually sunny, and you'll get plenty of "Vitamin D." Plan activities for early in the day, watch the sky for looming thunderstorms, have an umbrella available, and enjoy. The cloud cover can make for some spectacular sunsets. Flamingo will be the same. The mountain locations will get more rain and can be difficult to predict-- we've had lovely days in Arenal in July and also, complete washouts-- again, it is usually best to get up at the crack of dawn and get your hiking done early,

manchester
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brit who is looking for some sun

Take an extra layer for monteverde. When we were there last June it was raining heavily and we were wet. It wouldn't usually be a problem but because the altitude there is about 1600 meters, it's much cooler to start of with (maybe 22-24 degrees) so when you add rain into that it took the termaperture down to about 18-19 which when you are wet is pretty nippy! I wish I had known to take an extra layer (just a light jacket or cardigan should be fine). You can still do most activities in the rain so take a good poncho and enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brit who is looking for some sun

Thank you so much - great advice. Macs packed!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brit who is looking for some sun

Thank you for taking time to reply- good advice about early starts.

6. Re: Brit who is looking for some sun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2017, 05:30

Reply to: Brit who is looking for some sun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted