We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

Hi guys

Are there any latest scams on tourists to be aware of in Puerto Viejo that you know of?

6 replies to this topic
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

Not as far as I know. Your biggest problem is opportunistic petty theft. No beaches after dark and take taxis.

Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

okay thank you :o)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

No thanks God

roadadvisor

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

I just posted something, so you can read my comments in the forum. We were robbed two weeks ago and were targeted by the robbers after having lunch in the area. I would highly recommend reading the reviews about thief in the area and decide for yourself if you want to be in that area.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

Sorry to hear that you were victims of crime while on vacation in CR. It is a good idea not to leave anything in the car unattended, let alone all your luggage and valuables/electronics, not even for 5 minutes. I think I know the store in Punta Uva where you went when it happened.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?

You are right. We shouldn't have left anything in the car even for even a second. When I told the store and the people around that we were robbed, they couldn't believe it. They said that this does not happen in the area. So, while I 100% agree that we should not have left our things even in front of a small store, I think it would have been less likely this would have happened if we didn't go to Puerto Viejo because we were targeted.

Also, after reading reports about people being robbed with weapons in daylight, I am glad that they just stole our stuff and we didn't see what they looked like (although the police has pictures of the robbers from the store cameras) and their was no confrontation. While we didn't have any credit cards for the rest of the trip, at least I had the cash that I brought with me and we still had our passports. Since we were in transition from accommodations, we had no option but to have our stuff with us. My kids were "traumatized" enough by the experience, it would have been a lot worse if the robbers were bold enough to rob us directly and I lost my purse and passports. So, I am glad that it wasn't worse than I could have been. The couple that we met at the police station lost her purse, but they were from San Jose so not that bad to have lost their money, ID and credit cards vs. being from another country. Maybe I wouldn't rent a car next time and be shuttled everywhere too to help reduce the risk.

Reply to: Any latest scams on tourists to be aware of?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...