We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

We have been to the rustic in a kind wonderful way town of Quepos many times. If you travel to Costa Rica you know about the airport tax upon departure and even if you are in first class on your flight you must wait in this usually enormous line to pay your $29.00 cash that nobody tells you about going in. Ok, to avoid doing that places like Punta Islita near Samara will do it for you upon departure of their resort or you may go to the Bank of Costa Rica (BCR) and do it there.

Today we checked into the BCR in Quepos, explained what we needed, and waited 2 hours only to be told that the Bank Manager was not in and that we should leave our passports and come back in another hour and a half, so that we did.

Bottom line, pay your airport tax anywhere but BCR in Quepos, it was a 3 and a half hour trip through hell and I don't think anyone should have to do it.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

"...you must wait in this usually enormous line to pay your $29.00 cash that nobody tells you about going in. "

Mikey3600 -- if someone does the most basic search for information about Costa Rica, they can easily find out about the $29 departure tax. It has been written about over and over here on the forum.

As for that "enormous line" -- I have flown out of SJO probably 25 times and have NEVER had to wait in line for more than 5 minutes. When you arrive, it might look to you as if the line is very long but it moves very fast because there are a lot of desks.

There are several options to pay your Departure Tax and the Banco de Costa Rica is one of them. I am sure there are also hotels in Quepos where you can pay it.

Another option is to pay your departure tax upon arrival, which you can do at the airport.

Sorry the bank manager was not very accommodating to you. I suppose he should have just stuck around all day, no matter what he needed to do, because you wanted to pay your departure tax! lol..... just kdding...

Still -- your post is a great reminder to those who don't know about the Departure Tax that there are options.

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

Hattie,

I have experienced enormous lines. And I don't think that the Bank Manager should have waited for me to pay my departure tax , but I do think that a process that should take 5 minutes took 3.5 hours is more than mildly exsesive.

BTW? The only other place near Quepos to pay is Hotel Gaia and they were out of the forms. May be helpful for your 26th flight out of SJO. , oh "just kidding "

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

Mikey - I don't live anywhere near Manuel Antonio so not an issue for me.

I am flying out in February and will stand in the "5-minute line." No worries.

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

Have a blast

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

Ahh, wish you had posted this earlier and I could have advised against it. I had a similar problem w/ a BCR in the area and similar results. I had business to conduct in the bank anyway and thought I'd "kill two birds w/ one stone". So it's good information for people who believe this is a quick solution or should I say an entirely viable option. I've never attempted this again at a BCR as the line at the airport has been quick for me. But if you're back in the area in the future, I will certainly ask around to see what establishments are able to issue the tax. I thought maybe Lynch Travel in Quepos but that is only a passing guess not a certainty.

6. Re: Banco De Costa Rica Quepos Branch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 14:18