We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5hr stopover in Quepos

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
5hr stopover in Quepos

Hola,

We are travelling from Monteverde to Uvita by bus and have a 5hr stopover in Quepos. Any recommendations on things to do that are quick, inexpensive, and feasible while carrying our luggage?

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Uvita
Uvita
Quepos
Quepos
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5hr stopover in Quepos

Hi Kootnaytourist,

This is a tough one because of the luggage. Normally one would recommend a visit to MA park or even the public beach - but with luggage it is a hassle - though I guess you could park yourselves on the beach. (The park does close at 4 PM.)

Am are correct to assume that you are using the timings given by the thebusschedule.com which gets you into Quepos at 2.00 PM and then shows a connection out to Uvita at 7.00 PM.

So if you are in Quepos or MA around 5.00 PM, you can kill some time watching the sunset. And of course you can sit in a bar or a restaurant

No matter how you slice it Montevverde to Uvita is a long haul. Looks like if you bite the bullet and leave MV at 4.30 AM instead of 6:00 you cut about 5 hours off of the transit time and get there at at 3.20 PM instead of 10;00 PM.

Or get creative and although it involves some backtracking - put in Monteverde Uvita VIA San Isidro. It cuts 5 hours off and you don't have to leave till 6.30 AM. The only thing that worries me about that one is that it shows a 30 minutes connection in San Jose and I am not sure how far the 2 bus stations are. But if you break it uo even further, there is a bus from San Jose to San Isidro by a different bus company that leaves half an hour later and still would make the connection in San Isidro.

In general - check out the various legs separately as you may get different results

But all this sounds complicated.....For your chosen routing you have to have both time and patience.

Or you could break the trip up and decide to spend a night in Quepos or Manuel Antonio. There are some cheap hostels in the area. Or you could check the shared shuttles for at least one leg and see if you can work something better out. But that will cost more.

good luck

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Uvita
Uvita
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5hr stopover in Quepos

I am sure that you could leave your luggage securely in a hotel for a small fee. We did that for our cars and luggage in a couple of places in Costa Rica- paying a secure hotel to store our luggage and keep our cars safe for a period of time. There are quite a few trustworthy hotels in Quepos which you could call to arrange in advance.

FYI, When we did it (it was not in Quepos), we arranged for a $10/day fee for both luggage and car.

If you can do that, I would suggest a cab ride to Manuel Antonio (about 5 kms from Quepos downtown), pay the fee for the park, hike to Manuel Antonio Beach (really beautiful, I mean the one inside the National Park), enjoy for 2 hours and go back. Unfortunately, with the logistics involved, I don't think you have time to have a guided visit of the park (without a good guide, imho, it's not really worth it).

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Quepos
Quepos
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5hr stopover in Quepos

There are lots of tours/beaches around Quepos/Manuel Antonio to quickly fill 5 hours. As for your luggage, have a few options available for you....always willing to help out fellow Canadians if we can when they come to this area. Just let us know when you will be in Quepos and we can see what arrangements we can make so you can enjoy this area on your way through.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
4. Re: 5hr stopover in Quepos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 13:18