We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

Looking for info on where to purchase at reasonable prices and how many am I allowed to bring back to USA? Also what are the popular liquors to bring back? Also, what brand of coffee is really good to bring back? Looking forward to any feedback I can get.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

In Quepos, go to The House of Cigars tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309289-d3…

For coffee, personally I like 1820 which can be purchased at Maxi Pali in Quepos. Liquor is best priced at duty free at SJO and you will have a wide selection from Cacique Guaro, Cafe Rica, Centenario (CR Rum) and Flor de Cana (Nica Rum). FYI if you purchase duty free liquor AND you have a transfer enroute to your final destination, you'll need to put it in your suitcase at your point of entry into the states and then recheck the bag. If you have a direct flight out of SJO, then it is fine as a carry on for the flight.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

As lisa says, you can get good coffee at supermarkets. Everyone has their favourite. If you look at the Top Questions on the main page of the Costa Rica Forum, there is one about buying coffee. (The Top Questions are not available on the TA app only the full version through a browser.)

Right in downtown Quepos is cafe Milagro, a coffee roaster. If you are there at the right time, you can actually watch and smell them roast the beans. Their coffee is however not cheap. their coffee is also sold at their Manuel Antonio location which is a restaurant and at some supermarkets.

As for liquor, over and above the rums and guaro, both Salicsa and Britt make coffee liqueurs similar to Kahlua and Salicsa makes a creme liqueur sort of like Irish Creme and a few other liqueurs.

www.salicsa.co.cr/productos/licores.html

Raquel

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

Golden Cream is a personal favorite. Some of my family are quite disappointed, if I don't bring a bottle back with me! After shopping around a bit I've only found it to be marginally cheaper at duty free when returning to the US via SJO.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

Thanks for all the input, it helps!! What about Tequila??

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

Try to buy tequila (and other liquor) at the Duty Free shop in the airport. It's (usually) cheapest there.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 15:46
6. Re: Great Cigars, Liquor and Coffee in Quepos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 15:18