We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

I am looking for asistance to determine what options there are to travel from San Jose to Jaco Beach. I only have a 3 nite stay in Costa Rica arriving San Jose late the 1st nite. I was considering traveling to Jaco Beach and spend a nite there before returning to San Jose for my last nite. What options and costs are available to travel to Jaco and if it is a bus service do you know the approximate times of service are available. Also I could use some help to arrange for a zip line or Volcano day trip. Thanks for your help. Steve

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Jaco Beach
Jaco Beach
1,343 Reviews
Jaco, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

Give Interbus a try@ https://www.interbusonline.com/home/home.asp

Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
386 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

You can do bus, shuttle, taxi or private driver. I have not done the bus before, but it is cheap and takes the longest. The shuttle is about $29 pp and takes about 1.5 hours. I like the private driver option, fastest but more expensive if just 1 person.

There are many ziplines. My two favorites in Jaco area are

http://www.canopyvistalossuenos.com/

Chiclets Canopy Tour

Morning and afternoon tours: 7am 9am 1pm 3:30pm

Tel: 643-1880 / 643-1879 fax 643-3509

First one is just north of Jaco and the second is just south. Both will pick you up or you can take a taxi once in Jaco. You should book directly with them because the hotel will charge you extra.

Mentioned in this post
Jaco
Jaco
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,678 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

100% agree with mrolfes...private service around $ 95.00 per one person low season price. EACH WAY!

roadadvisor

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. Do you happen to know the names of the shuttle services and perhaps their hours of operation? Regards, Steve

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

INTERBUS or GRAY LINE...the best two shuttle companies in the country by far!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
386 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

The two main shared shuttle services are Interbus which Jako mentioned

https://www.interbusonline.com/home/home.asp

and Grayline

graylinecostarica.com/graylinetouristbus.php

I think both have morning and afternoon departures - but you can check the websites.

The public bus to jaco is really not bad - especially if you are spending the night in San Jose. The cost would be about 5 or 6 dollars. And there are lots of daily departures.

You would catch the bus at the Coca Cola bus station in Central San Jose.

You can check either of these bus stations for bus times

http://thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php

That schedule is great for finding connections for more complicated routes.

On the above schedule - please note that the buses operated by transported Morales are actually the buses to Manuel Antonio and do not go right into the town of Jaco but stop at the outskirts. The others go right in..

visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/LEYES/pdf/Iti…

(good for point to point travel)

Not all toursits want to travel by public buses for various reasons. But I find them relatively efficient and not uncomfortable and very reasonable in price. They are not "chicken buses" but do not have airconditioning or washrooms on board. But San Jose to jaco is a relatively short trip.

If you are interested in the pulic bus option let us know and I or some of the others who take buses will give you more information.

raquel

Edited: 03 October 2010, 05:43
Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
386 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Jaco
Jaco
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

Thank you all for the additional information. That should help me sort it out. Regards, Steve

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

Hi again Steve,

Just want to add one thing. If you want to try the public bus on one leg of your journey, a good idea would be to take it back from Jaco to San Jose. You could avoid the Coca Cola bus station area which can be chaotic and a bit sketchy, especially for the uninitiated. On request, the buses coming into San Jose from the west and North will let you off in front of the airport. This is great if you are going to catch a flight that day or if you plan to stay overnight in the Alajuela area.

pura vida

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Jaco
Jaco
San Jose
San Jose
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

Some real good info here, I just a few points to add.

First, a bunch of people have provided the interbus weblink, but you can actually save a little money by booking their shuttle through: http://www.shuttlebus.co.cr . Okay its only $27.55 vs. $29 or 5% difference but by some reports they also provide more responsive customer service. Grayline is actually a little more for this route than Interbus at $30/pp, not that that is a huge difference either.

Secondly, someone said the travel time on the shuttle between SJ and Jaco is only 1.5 hours, and maybe it is now that they've opened up the new higher speed road down to the coast, but their websites still list transit times ranging between 2.5-3.5 hours. Part of that was because of the formerly mentioned formerly slower route, but part of it is also do to the fact that with these group shuttles you spend a fair amount of time going between the different hotels picking up or dropping off the various passengers. That is no problem if your the last one picked up and the first one dropped off, but can really add to your travel time if its the other way around.

Third, someone said the public bus takes longer than the shuttles, but if you check out their schedules you'll see that they're actually scheduled to take 2.5 hours, which might even be less time en route than the shuttles. The catch there is that you need to take a cab (for an extra $1-2 for your group) to the bus station to catch the bus, preferably a little early before departure, and wait around there, as opposed to maybe waiting for a little while in your hotel lobby until the shuttle (or your private driver) comes by to pick you up.

Fourth, as someone already stated there are morning and afternoon departures for the shuttles (8-8:15AM for the morning departure and 2:30 for Interbus and 3:30 for Grayline for their afternoon departures). If that fits easily into your plans or you're willing to be adaptable to that then great, but it doesn't provide you with much flexibility (coming back has similarly restricted departure times). In contrast, the public buses leave literally every hour on the hour giving you a much wider choice of departure times. Of course, the private driver option gives you the most choice since you can just leave whenever you want.

Personally, I agree with Raquel. The public bus system in CR is certainly not for all tourists but I think its shortcomings are often overstated and IMHO is actually a reasonably comfortable, fairly efficient and certainly very colorful way to travel (if you want to experience travel the way the locals do). And at ~$4/pp (plus another buck or two at either end for local taxis it is certainly A LOT cheaper than the $95/PP rate that someone quoted above (Actually, if you negotiate with cabbies in SJ you can usually do that rate for your whole CARLOAD, which works out a bit better if there is more than one in your group though still more than the shuttle and a LOT more than the public bus. It comes down to how much the (in my view not that significant relative to the difference in price) added comfort and convenience of a private driver. But I'm thinking your best bet will probably be to take the shuttle there and perhaps try the bus on the way back, particularly if you're going right to the airport or a hotel in the nearby Alajuela area (which I think was a great idea that Raquel added)

Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
386 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Jaco
Jaco
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: options on travel to Jaco Beach from San Jose

Thank you very much friends for all the wonderful additional tips. It is very much appreciated. Regards, Steve